Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2015, 11:03 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

Plants:
~2 glosso (one I separated and is now scattered in front of DW. the other is at the back right corner)
~1 Chain Sword (I'm pretty sure that's what it is. It's in the back left corner)
~1 anubias nana? (It's right in front of the glosso on the right. pretty small and dark green)
~1 Amazon Sword (on the left in front of chain sword)
~1 Cabomba (It's teeny tiny and right in front of the Amazon Sword)
~1 unknown (to the right of the cabomba. It's light green with many little light pink flowers on it.)
~1 unknown (. Has red and green leaves w/ red stems. Has white clover-looking flowers branching off of it.)
~1 rock w/ baby tears (This is my brothers. he has inadequate lighting in his tank right now and I'm trying to keep it alive.
P.S. I'm planning to move all of this to my 20g long so ik the aquascaping looks like crap but I'm just trying to keep the plants alive rn. My amazon sword and glosso are growing exceptionally well!
Fish: 1 Kuhli Loach
10g planted tank:

Old 01-21-2015, 11:25 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fresh2o~I love those little crinkly looking plants! what are they called?

Old 01-21-2015, 11:38 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeroo View Post
Fresh2o~I love those little crinkly looking plants! what are they called?
The ones in his tank I assume you are referring to are called downoii, It means little star in Thai. They grow slow but do well in mid-highlight. not super demanding but a slow grower. you can get them in a top fin gel pack at petco or petsmart. I saw you mention that you were considering dieting your tank. I did it and have had awesome results so far. Explosive plant growth and I have not really had the bad tannins that you usually get. I capped with 2 inches of ecocomplete and mixed red clay in with the mineralized soil for an iron source. If you need help if you end up dieting pm me and I can walk you through it!
Old 01-22-2015, 12:36 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
The ones in his tank I assume you are referring to are called downoii, It means little star in Thai. They grow slow but do well in mid-highlight. not super demanding but a slow grower. you can get them in a top fin gel pack at petco or petsmart. I saw you mention that you were considering dieting your tank. I did it and have had awesome results so far. Explosive plant growth and I have not really had the bad tannins that you usually get. I capped with 2 inches of ecocomplete and mixed red clay in with the mineralized soil for an iron source. If you need help if you end up dieting pm me and I can walk you through it!
REALLY!!? Awesome! I wanted to ask someone on here to walk me through everything but I was afraid I'd annoy them to death lol. That would be great, thank you! I'm assuming it's cheaper and I mean come on it's dirt. Like the stuff plants are supposed to grow in so how bad can it be? I also feel dumb for not knowing this but, how does the substrate on the top not get mixed in with the dirt (for when your trying to plant things or move things around like re-aquascaping?) I also figured I could cap off the dirt with the substrate I already have in the 10g if its enough. I'm probably going to end up buy smoother stuff because my poor little kuhli hates it and always hangs out in the DW and plants.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:00 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Just ask. That's how you learn. Plus, there are a lot of planted tank build threads here so you can peruse through them and relive the joys and horrors of this addiction.
Good question on the capped dirt redecoration thing. I suppose move things around very carefully. I use EcoComplete only. But it's been running over two years and when I uproot a bunch of plants the tank can look like chocolate milk for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tags
plant, planted, planted tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com