New planted tank.. odd dimensions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khalix

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was given a 25 gallon tank recently and ultimately decided I would use it for a heavy to moderate planted tank to house my red cherry shrimp as well as to serve as kind of a preschool for my kribensis fry.

Problem is.. it's a very odd shape and I'm not sure what to do with the lighting as a result. I've never had anything other than the standard lighting on a tank so I'm not familiar with T5 light fixtures.

The dimensions are 22L, 22 H, 12D. Would a 24 be what I'd need, or would I need to go smaller than the tank? I've never seen any smaller, so I just want to be sure before I make some really dumb move. I'm good at them. :lol:

This is the light I was looking at, but any recommendations/suggestions are welcome. Amazon.com: Zoo Med AquaSun T5-HO Double Light Linear Fluorescent Hood, 24-Inch: Kitchen & Dining
This tank will be at least a month in the making, so I can make sure I do it right from the beginning.

Most of the fixtures have adjustable legs, so a 24 should fit by sliding the legs towards the center of the tank before locking them in. Not sure if they all do this though.

I guess it will also depend on the length of the bulb. I'd look for a fixture with a 24 inch bulb and the adjustable legs (not sure if the zoomed fits that criteria).

Good Luck

I thought so since I see a lot of them with legs.. but I'm so used to lights that just sit on top of my canopy that the whole thing is alien to me. Thanks for the response. :)

Wow, that is a really good price on that fixture! It looks like a good option. I can't tell 100% though if those legs will slide in like most fixtures will. The other option is to hang the fixture from the ceiling, or if you have any DIY skillz, I have seen a build where someone made a sharp looking light hanger that bolted to the back of the stand just using bent conduit painted black.

I checked out the zoomed website for better pictures of their T5H0 fixture.
The legs appear to be attached to both the inside and outside of the tank rim, but still don't know if they are adjustable.

Apparently this package includes a suspension kit, and has a on\off switch for each bulb. Uses 2 22 inch 24 watt bulbs. The lights are protected by a splash guard so maybe it could sit on a glass lid if the legs are removable (they must be seeing the fixture can be suspended).

Let us know if you choose to use this :)

AquaSun T5-HO Double Light Linear Fluorescent Hoods

Good point... it could sit directly on a glass top. I have done that before...

I'm going to be ordering it this weekend after payday, so I'll let you know. :)

Well, I think I'm going to pass on the zoo med. The bulbs aren't included and on fishneedit.com I can get the light fixture with the bulbs for a small amount more.

2F/2Bulbs fixtures is the one I was thinking of.. only question is.. it gives the option to do both blue bulbs or one blue and one white.. plus color temp for the white bulbs. I'm a total novice when it comes to this. Which is better?

Sorry to ask such questions but I tend to think more of your opinions than the answers I find googling.

You want to go with white only... actinic (blue) bulbs provide no usable light for plants.

10000K or 6700K are appropriate for plants. I prefer 10000K as the light is a little whiter and I think it looks nicer. 6700K, some will argue is a little better for plants, but the light is a little too yellow for my tastes. I use 10,000K exclusively now and have no issues even with high light plants.

Thanks, exactly what I wanted to know. :) I definitely prefer the crisp white light and one of the issues I have with my current fixtures is they just seem too yellow.

I ordered my light finally(car decided to break down at the worst time!). Just playing the waiting game now. Got the two white bulbs at 10000K from fishneedit.com. I am very anxious because someone I know was getting rid of several plants and gave them to me telling me she'd trash them otherwise. I have them sort of floating for now shining under a desk lamp trying to keep them alive!

I am going to go get some glass cut tomorrow since everything is closed today, but was kind of curious about it since I have seen a lot of tanks without any sort of canopy. Usually open topped with a clamped on light fixture. Obviously this will cause more evaporation, but is it better? Or is it just aesthetically more pleasing?

I think after spending $80 on a light I am more than a little paranoid that it would fall in when I was gone. :O

You will definitely see more evaporation... I don't know if I would call it better or worse... my tanks are open top. I like it like that.

Yeah, yours are gorgeous, but I am regretting that I didn't at least attempt to take the rim off of mine.

On my 44 Gallon, I had a similar problem. Found an 18 inch 96 watt fixture 9 (4 tubes, square pin, Power Compact fixture) Its from Coralife I believe, it has 2 fans... but I promptly unplugged the fans and have been running fine for 4 years!

Back
Top Bottom