New planted Tank: should I be worried?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poseidonisland

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Im pretty new to taking care of fish and having a planted aquarium. I have a planted 10 gallon tank, with basic led lights that came with the tank(I'm not sure the wattage it didn't say on the box/manual)

Previously there was only the plants in the back and i was not using and fertilizers. I've noticed spots, Decoloration(even though when I got them they were already discolored) and see through areas. I'm pretty sure the plants are deficient of nutrients. My last water change, 3 days ago, I added the new fertilizers, stress zhyme, and stress coat, which I hadn't been using.

edit: that was 2 days ago. Java ferns seem to look even worse now.

Will the plants bounce back and typically how long does it take to see an improvement? Any tips or advice anyone can give me about what I may be doing wrong, the things they can see that need adjustment from the photos, or things I need to add to the water. Thanks a lot!20170623_123009.jpg20170623_123035.jpg20170623_123117.jpg20170623_123104.jpg

I can't tell from the pics, but did you bury the rhizomes of the anubias and java ferns? That would eventually kill them. (They should be attached to rocks or wood, instead.)

Barliman is right, those Java ferns need to be above the substrate, only the brown roots can be in the substrate not the main stem the leaves come off.

Ferts won't be an instant fix, it will take a few weeks before you notice any difference. U want to be dosing flourish to recommended and weekly water changes of 50%. Trim off all the decaying leaves as they will just cause algae [emoji106]

Ok. I will try to fix those things. Do you think the lights are a problem?

Nah I think you'll be fine with those plants, people don't realise just how little light low most tech plants will grow in. I've got a heap of Java fern and crypts and even had Hygrophila in my 55g that are under a single old t5 fluro and they seem to do just fine. [emoji106]

Don't fall into the trap of buying this big fancy lighting fixture as it will only cause you more problems. Remember the golden rule:

More light, more nutrients, more co2.

Dude, thanks for the advice all around. This is my first post on this forum and I'm really glad I did. I Already got way more useful info then I could find on the web. I'll let u know how it goes..

Back
Top Bottom