New planted tank substrate.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MandyINCo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am thinking of using dirt or sand with gravel mixed in as a substrate for my new 30gal tall tank. I am a complete newbie with plants, and all the articles I have read say that dirt is for a more experienced aquarist. I was thinking of dry sprouting all the plants for a couple months, and then flooding the tank. I want some fine grass for ground cover, and some corkscrew vals in the background. And some other type of short leafy plant in the rock build and driftwood. I have a vision, I just dont know how best to execute it. Any advice would be helpful thanks!!

MandyINCo said:
I am thinking of using dirt or sand with gravel mixed in as a substrate for my new 30gal tall tank. I am a complete newbie with plants, and all the articles I have read say that dirt is for a more experienced aquarist. I was thinking of dry sprouting all the plants for a couple months, and then flooding the tank. I want some fine grass for ground cover, and some corkscrew vals in the background. And some other type of short leafy plant in the rock build and driftwood. I have a vision, I just dont know how best to execute it. Any advice would be helpful thanks!!

If you use dirt you'll need to cap it ( not mix it) with sand or gravel. If you plan to move plants around, it will get messy.
Google Walstad Method and Natural Planted Tanks.

I use just sand and add root tabs. Easier for me.

Google emersed tanks for that method.

Most carpet foreground plants need high light/Co2/Ferts. Crypt parva is easier but slow growing AFAIK.

A tall tank is trickier to get the lighting right.

I'd say san too, it will work better than dirt, or gravel. sand is much,much cleaner, and won't make your tank look brown and murky

Back
Top Bottom