Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2014, 10:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

New scape

Hey guys it's been a while. So here is an update on my planted 55 just added new plants. So how does it look? Any tips or recommendation on plants. Lighting is reefsun and aqueon floramax so I'm running at about 80-90 watts so around 2 watts per gal my substrate is sandblasting sand. Have a sunsun canister and hob filter. Jugar 300 watt heater. And mixed community stock. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400204219.720589.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	237378

Old 05-15-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Can't get other pic to upload will try later

Old 05-16-2014, 12:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have my Sunsun spray bar piped across the top left side of the tank (rather than the back), pushing the water left to right, and the input tube all the way in the right corner. Just a personal preference thing, less visible. It might not fit with all the spray bar attachments, not sure how wide your tank is. The extra power head may not be necessary, either. How much substrate did you use? Again, personal preference, I like a deep bed. All that said, the aquascaping is pretty nice.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the suggestion I think that would look wonderful on the side. I can shorten it no problem. Thanks for replying
Old 05-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I use about 2-4 inches deep of sand and stir it where plants arnt planted. Also another question the plants came in little rubber pots, I just planted them and the roots hanging out in the sand is this ok?
Old 05-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's ok, and makes it easier to pull and move them around. Not optimal, however. I carefully remove the pot, and all foam around the roots -- try my best not to damage the roots. Rinse off any dirt with regular water, then rinse in H2O2 to get all the "grimies" off. Scientific term for bacteria, algae, etc.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok thanks I might just do a little experiment where I leave pots on and some off

Tags
cap

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com