New tank! 5 gallon build with lighting questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paytertot

Aquarium Advice Addict
My American government teacher was talking about how she had 4 goldfish in her 5 gallon tank, and of course I had a conniption and now I have a free 5 gallon tank! Yay me! :D

I'm planning on heavily planting it and having shrimp and maybe snails in there. So here are my questions, since I have planted tanks but I've never had a heavily planted one...

*what kind of substrate do y'all recommend and like best for heavy planting?
*what kind of lighting do I need?
*what is your favorite kind of shrimp?
*what kind of ferts should I use?
I'll be running co2 of course.

I have a planted 5.5 gallon with a 10w LED daylight floodlight, Eco-complete substrate, HOB filter, Seachem flourish twice weekly, Excell daily, iron and magnesium as needed. No co2. I had a 15w T8 over it for a while and it worked out well. A common CFL daylight would work great also. It was originally just a quarantine tank but I rescaped my 20 and took out most of the plants and decided to put a few of them in the 5.5 and donate the rest to a LFS (three full 1 gallon bags).

paytertot said:
So which lights would give me high-ish lighting? That's what I'm going for.

CFLs over a 5 would by my choice. They come in different watts so you can adjust the light levels easily. One bulb may be all you need. I can't say how effective the LED light I'm using is yet but I could post a pic to give you an idea. The shimmer effect is great. It was about 13 bucks US shipped.

Do you mean a 10 watt CFL daylight or a straight T8 or something? If it's a CFL you'll be able to grow lots of plants.

You'll be able to grow loads of plants with a 10w CFL. I'd say it probably puts you in the medium light range for a 5 gallon. If it's a shallow tank and you're doing co2 you could even try out some light hungry plants depending on the type of fixture it's in. Is it a desk lamp, a round cone type reflector, or a normal aquarium style light fixture? Is the bulb a daylight? Also, is the bulb a spiral or "U" shaped?

I know it's a lot of questions but it's easier to judge the amount of light going into the tank if we're clear about some of the details.

On a side note, I just made a simple wood housing for the light over my 5.5 planted tank. Waiting for the paint inside to dry now. I don't have any black paint for the outside on hand so it'll have to wait for Monday.

Can either of you post a link to a light that would work for a 5 gal? Im going to start one up and just want some hardy plants.

I haven't bought the tank yet. I'm waiting to find all the pieces I'll need. I was thinking probably just a standard size from petco.

Pics. Disregard the goofy sibling in the background. Lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121014_125054.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121014_125054.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 45
  • ForumRunner_20121014_125109.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121014_125109.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 41
Here are a couple pictures of my lighting.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121014_171621.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121014_171621.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 33
  • ForumRunner_20121014_171640.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121014_171640.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 33
paytertot said:
Here are a couple pictures of my lighting.

I know that bulb well. It's the best one to get in my opinion. A lot of people on this site use the same one for plants. It's way better than the spiral ones for a horizontal fixture (unless you have a bigger tank and need more watts).

Khij159753 said:
What light is it?

You can often find them at walmart in the pet section or petsmart sold specifically for aquariums. It's a "U" type 10 watt CFL daylight. Just great for incandescent hoods. Amazon had some by ZooMed I think.

Would a spiral type cfl of the same wattage be less efficient? If I wanted lower light should I get the spiral type 10 watt?

Back
Top Bottom