New tank, a little help please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tabbykat9698

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have some easy plants in the tank, anubias and some others I forgot what. Anyways still cycling the tank, going to get dwarf puffers (and more plants too). Its a 20 gal. As soon as I put the plants in I got green water, so my bf went to the lfs and they gave him carbon and iron. Ive had plants in aquariums before but never used any of that. They are both in liquid form, what do I do and how much? And they said be careful when I get fish not to overdose it. Unfortunately my bf is the one that spoke to the lfs so I didn't get a good relay of info.

green water is a algae. why not try a black out for 3-4 days followed by some large wc to help remove it. also is the tank getting direct sun light?

yeah dont worry about dosing the tank, just water changes until its gone and reduce lighting time

The one time I ever got green water was when I overdosed phosphates... so something to consider

I havent put anything in yet (cept plants), but they said to feed the plants with iron and carbon, so what are your suggestions on that? Thats what they sold us.

Well most algae outbreaks are caused by an imbalance of one nutrient. Algae are very good are capitalizing on these excesses. Plants can only use the nutrients if they have enough of all of them. The macro nutrients (phosphate, carbon, nitrogen) are the main ones, but the micro ones are important as well (can't remember, but I can look it up, but it includes iron). From what I've read, co2 gives plants a distinct advantage (carbon, probably excel) over algae.

As Mg said, direct sunlight is also a known cause for algae.

I used to have this great site for plants and nutrient deficiencies, but I can't find it, so these will have to do. The one I had also had pictures ><

Freshwater Aquatic Plant Care

Problems you might have with the aquatic plants in your aquarium

I think this might have been it
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/fertilizing/62876-plant-deficiency-picture-diagram.html

Oh and its not in direct sunlight, not even close to a window actually. The water literally turned green a few hours after I put the plants in. It is definitely getting better but like I said, I haven't added any minerals to the water. I'm not too worried about the green water because the tank is still cycling anyway so I just think it will be gone before adding fish. I am just curious about this carbon and iron they gave my bf. I've never used any type of plant food but I do keep "easy" plants.

I'm gonna check out those sites now though, thanks. And if anyone knows about carbon and iron, please inform me because my bf is not good at relaying the info from the LFS lol.

Can you tell us the entire names of the products? Carbon is a macro nutrient, and iron is a macro nutrient. Unless they tested for everything, I'm not entirely sure why they chose iron over the other micro nutrients. I think the mentality was that you're trying to add different nutrients to try to balance the excess. It's like a limiting reagent in chemistry, without an excess of one nutrient, you can use all of the other. In this case, we want all the nutrients to be used, so the algae doesn't have anything left.

i use flourish excel organic carbon for the planted aquarium. i add it when i do a water change. 1 capful for every 10 gallons ( i use just under 8 cap fulls for my 80gal, so i dont overdose since i fish) so i think you said its a 20 gal, so use 2 cap fulls when you do a pwc

since your cycling it should be ok, but then after a couple doses lower the amount you put in it. i think on the bottle it says every thread on the cap is 1 mm and to use 1 cap full for every 50gal. so use just under half a cap for your 2nd dose

to be honest if you are just setting up the tank, you are dealing with an algae problem that is a NORMAL part of things getting stable. Simply scrape off the green stuff from the tank. Before adding in anything get your tank cycled! You don't want to add more components before you have everything figured out. There are simple ways to deal with various algaes and others that are more complex.

As for supplements....if you plan on having a well planted tank, you should decide what the demands for the plants will be: low light versus high light. See a selection of these here : AquariumPlants.com Largest online sales / service site for the live aquarium plants & aquarium products community.
So far, you have low light plants, which will probably be fine with the crappy lights that come with most tanks. Anubias are heavy root feeders and will do well with some root tabs. If, however, you select medium or high light plants, you will need to supplement the water and gravel/roots with various supplements even beyond iron as well as upgrading your lighting system. There are a number of informative threads on these topics that you can refer to.

In my opinion, I would wait on adding any iron to your tank, and plan what type of setup you want first. Buy a scraper and simply scrape the green algae off the walls until you get an algae crew in the tank. With dwarf puffers, you should select these carefully, as some are simply puffer food :) like shrimp and snails. Also, check out this page for infor on various types of tank algae.Algae control in the aquarium

On the topic of dwarf puffers...they are carnivores and messy eaters. They quite often will not finish all of what they start...half eaten snails, mostly eaten blood worms and black worms, brine shrimp. In my experience, once they live food stops moving they are more interested in the wiggley ones. This means excess material to worry about in your tank, and potential material to imbalance levels of nutrients in your water thus possible algae issues. You can deal with this by being diligent with water changes. I typically do 50-75% change once a week in my puffer thank. You can also add in a dwarf pleco and otocinclus. I prefer otos as they are efficient and don't add to the bioload by much. You should also consider a bottom feeder to help clean up the leftovers from the puffers. I suggest a cory. I had a resident emerald cory who did a great job on cleaning the bottom and did not bother the puffers.

Dwarf puffers are great and very interested in their owners. They have great personalities and are very engaged with whatever is going on outside their tank. Keep us posted as you get setup. I love puffers!

to be honest if you are just setting up the tank, you are dealing with an algae problem that is a NORMAL part of things getting stable. Simply scrape off the green stuff from the tank. Before adding in anything get your tank cycled! You don't want to add more components before you have everything figured out. There are simple ways to deal with various algaes and others that are more complex.

As for supplements....if you plan on having a well planted tank, you should decide what the demands for the plants will be: low light versus high light. See a selection of these here : AquariumPlants.com Largest online sales / service site for the live aquarium plants & aquarium products community.
So far, you have low light plants, which will probably be fine with the crappy lights that come with most tanks. Anubias are heavy root feeders and will do well with some root tabs. If, however, you select medium or high light plants, you will need to supplement the water and gravel/roots with various supplements even beyond iron as well as upgrading your lighting system. There are a number of informative threads on these topics that you can refer to.

In my opinion, I would wait on adding any iron to your tank, and plan what type of setup you want first. Buy a scraper and simply scrape the green algae off the walls until you get an algae crew in the tank. With dwarf puffers, you should select these carefully, as some are simply puffer food :) like shrimp and snails. Also, check out this page for infor on various types of tank algae.Algae control in the aquarium

On the topic of dwarf puffers...they are carnivores and messy eaters. They quite often will not finish all of what they start...half eaten snails, mostly eaten blood worms and black worms, brine shrimp. In my experience, once they live food stops moving they are more interested in the wiggley ones. This means excess material to worry about in your tank, and potential material to imbalance levels of nutrients in your water thus possible algae issues. You can deal with this by being diligent with water changes. I typically do 50-75% change once a week in my puffer thank. You can also add in a dwarf pleco and otocinclus. I prefer otos as they are efficient and don't add to the bioload by much. You should also consider a bottom feeder to help clean up the leftovers from the puffers. I suggest a cory. I had a resident emerald cory who did a great job on cleaning the bottom and did not bother the puffers.

Dwarf puffers are great and very interested in their owners. They have great personalities and are very engaged with whatever is going on outside their tank. Keep us posted as you get setup. I love puffers!

I'm very excited to get them (though it will be maybe another month) but my algae is all simply green water, no scraping will help. It has gotten better and I'm not too concerned. It was the day after I put live plants in it was "poof" green water. I've had lots of algae in past tanks but this is my first green water experience lol. And this one is the furthest from a window that any tank of mine has ever been.

Oh well I am going to do the iron and carbon, sparingly and via your guys instructions. I trust you all more than the bottle's instructions.

Make sure your filter is filtering well. if it a hob shake out the cartridge in old water, if it is a canister get a fine floss in there.

How exciting on the puffers. I also had to wait for a month to get the ones I wanted once I ordered. I ordered during hurricane season a couple years ago, but the little guys were totally worth the wait. They have so much personality. Can't wait to see some pictures :D

Oh and I'm going to get otos too. The brunt of the algae is the green water which has pretty much went away. I have algae tabs for them just in case. Man I wish all my parameters would just drop so I can get my fish! LOL. Hopefully in a week. I have Nitrates finally starting a few days ago but Nitrites are HIGH and Ammonia has dropped a tad but still a little high. I need a LOT more plants too (tall ones mine is a 20 gal tall). It looks good but not as many plants as I would want for these dwarf puffers. There is a giant piece of driftwood and I also made a hiding cave of some rocks, plus a hiding place tank ornament.

make sure your otos have been held at the store for a couple weeks before you take them home. the die off rate is pretty high as they don't ship very well at all. logansmomma1228 just bought a group of otos and lost every one :( wouldn't want to see that happen again

To be honest you'd be wasting time dosing Iron right now, Iron is used to keep the plants color very vivid, usually the ones that have red in them. Just dose the Excel. And focus on daily or every other day water changes for the next month. Remember this, most problems in the aquarium can be solved with frequent, massive, water changes. They are a beautiful thing.

Back
Top Bottom