New tank fert dosing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bert2oo1

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've got my new 30 gal planted up and running I've got high lighting and diy co2, I'm planting all my plants today and have seeded my canister with media from my other tank. My question is do I need to wait to dose ferts or can I start straight away? I'm using the pps pro mix of dry ferts. Also should I get a few tetras or something today to help the filter media grow bacteria or will the ferts be enough to feed it?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't see why you can't start dosing right away. Also, down the road you may find that as the fish population increases, the need to add nitrates (KNO3 from the PPS Pro macro mix) will decrease as the fish waste will eventually contribute to this. In that case, getting a third solution/dosing container and only putting the KNO3 in there will allow you to add nitrates as needed.
There is no ammonia in the PPS ferts so it should not "feed" your cycled media. That's not to say that the BB population will die out completely. I'm on the fence as to whether you need to add a few fish at this time. If you hold off adding fish, is it possible to add some more seeded media to the filter when you start adding fish?

I don't see why you can't start dosing right away. Also, down the road you may find that as the fish population increases, the need to add nitrates (KNO3 from the PPS Pro macro mix) will decrease as the fish waste will eventually contribute to this. In that case, getting a third solution/dosing container and only putting the KNO3 in there will allow you to add nitrates as needed.
There is no ammonia in the PPS ferts so it should not "feed" your cycled media. That's not to say that the BB population will die out completely. I'm on the fence as to whether you need to add a few fish at this time. If you hold off adding fish, is it possible to add some more seeded media to the filter when you start adding fish?

@fresh2o set it all up had 5 neons in there just to see how they go and the co2 has gased them over night (oops) looks like I'll need to run an air stone over night, co2 drop checker should be coming in the mail in the next few days, think I'll swap in abit more media from my big tank too just to keep things rolling nicely, going to work now but will investigate levels when I get home

What type of DIY CO2 are you running (yeast or citric acid)? It sounds like it is generating a lot of CO2. Are you using a diffuser?
I did yeast based in a 20g for a year and the drop checker got blue-green to green at best. I did not aerate it at night.

Update: tanks been running for 3 weeks today. Crypts are growing like crazy and my Amazon sword is finally taking off too. Micro swords are looking a little ruff. I've been dosing:

Medium light
PPS-Pro Solution #1, 1ml per 10 gallon or 40 L
PPS-Pro Solution #2, 2 drops per 10 gallon or 40 L
Water change 50% once a week
This limits water column nutrient levels to 14 ppm NO3, 1.4 ppm PO4, 18 ppm K, 1.4 ppm Mg, 0.14 ppm Fe(TE).

Tanks 30g so I've been dosing 3x this daily. I've since started getting GSA as expected in a new tank.

After a lot of research I've found my light is about 120 par at substrate so that puts me in the high light category.

I've since 5x the fert dosing. However I'm worried about adding too much nitrate as my tank is fully stocked with fish. So I'm thinking about cutting back to half the no3.

I've read that GSA can be cured by upping my p04 level to over 5ppm per week. So also considering increasing the dosage of this.(I will need to remix my macro solution to make this possible)

Just wondering if others also think this is a good idea? Or if I need to decrease and increase anything else?

Any advice is always welcome!
Thanks guys

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

Oh I should also add the tank has been fully cycled for 2 weeks now and all levels have been stable.

I've just increases my macros and have moved on to dry dosing. Using a calculator you know exactly how much you are adding. I was getting ridiculous GSA on my glass so I've upped phosphate too. I'm using EI though. If you are in the realms of 5 x dosing PPS-Pro is might be worth looking in to EI dosing. I don't think you gain anything by limiting nutrients personally.

I've just increases my macros and have moved on to dry dosing. Using a calculator you know exactly how much you are adding. I was getting ridiculous GSA on my glass so I've upped phosphate too. I'm using EI though. If you are in the realms of 5 x dosing PPS-Pro is might be worth looking in to EI dosing. I don't think you gain anything by limiting nutrients personally.

Do u have a helpful link for EI dosing by any chance?

Back
Top Bottom