New Tank -- Plant List for your Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David14259

Aquarium Advice Freak
Setting up a 12 Gallon, Medium-Medium High Light, Eco-Complete Substrate, No CO2 system, Flourish Excel & Other Products.

Went to the LFS today, and wrote down every plant they had.

I've picked out these to start with:
-Cryptocoryne Wendti
-Water Sprite
-Dwarf Hairgrass
-Anubias barteri*
-Anubias Frazeri*
-Dwarf Sagittaria
-Wysteria
-Micro Sword
-Java Fern
-Java Moss*
* Denotes probably attaching to driftwood
I'd also like an Anubias Nana, but the LFS doesn't carry them.

I'd appreciate all Opinions on these plants, if they are good choices for a new tank. Thank you!

Those are all excellent plants for your tank. The Micro-sword (depending on what it really is: E. tenellus or L. brasiliensis, or other Lilaeopsis spp.) may require high light but I think it will do well until you find out. The Dwarf Hairgrass (likely Eleocharis parvula) is also a high-light plant but will do decently in medium light. All of the others should flourish in your tank. Definitely consider DIY CO2 to make things easier on yourself. Nice choices though :)

I'd just like to add to Travis's comments, that both the Anubias that your LFS carries will get large and will probably outgrow your tank. If you manage to get some fairly small plants to start, they are slow growers so it will be longer before they will finally outgrow the tank.

The Wisteria, Watersprite, Dwarf Sag, and Java Fern will all be especially good during the initial setup of your tank. It'd probably be best to wait on the Dwarf Hairgrass, Microsword, and Java Moss until you get past the initial setup phase and have solved any algae problems that you might encounter. These plants tend to be more difficult and/or algae magnets, so they are better in a more mature tank. The Crypts and Anubias can be added at anytime.

DIY CO2 is really cheap and really easy. If you want directions on how to do it, i'll be happy to help you out.

A. nana is a fairly small plant and very forgiving. A great one to start with :) It does best when attached to a piece of wood or rock. The rhizome (the thick, fleshy trunk from which the roots grow) should be left above the substrate in any case. If buried, it is prone to rot.

Anubias Barterii var Barterii, I used to have about 1.5 sq feet of it (threw it out when I changed the tank) never got that tall, perhaps 3" high tops.. Frazerii on the other hand may get too big and I would forgo that one.. I had it attached to a piece of Mopani wood.. Did very well although I couldn't seem to get a handle on how to trim it nicely on a piece of wood and it grew right off the ends..

I think the other's have mentioned most of what I would mention (namely grass type plants)

Back
Top Bottom