New tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqueonevolve4

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a ten gallon planted tank. It has about 2.5 watts a gallon, it's dirted, the plants are doing great. They include 2 types of crypts, amazon sword, water sprite, java moss and anubias barteri. I have a school of 6 zebra danios and that's it. I want to upgrade to a 29 gallon. My question is, If I take the water from my 10, which is completely set as far as levels go, and run the filter off my ten in the 29 for a while, will I be able to introduce the fish immediately ? Will it be like a did a big water change almost?

The water makes no difference. Your beneficial bacteria live mainly in your filter. If you hook up your old filter on the new tank then your ready to go.

If you use new water in the new tank then it would probably be best to drip acclimate them. If using your old water then you'll probably be ok

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sk3lly is correct. Your bb is mainly in the filter as opposed to the water. There is quite a debate among many as to the percentage that will be on the glass, substrate, etc.

And to answer what you directly asked, yes it would be like a big (2/3) water change. Just make sure you use the established filter and media.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Be sure when transferring any filter media not to let it dry out as this will kill your beneficial bacteria

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom