new tank setup and transfer questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok I finaly got the stand and now it is time to buy the filter rena xp3, moon tahitian black sand, eco-complete, diatom filter instead of uv sterilizer from your recommendations, and the 230w light fixture same as the one wolf has. questions are, where do I buy for the lowest price all this, the rena xp3 filter is fine to buy online how it comes or do I need to get media and or parts and if so what media and what parts along with the rena xp3 order? diatom filter same thing what else will I need and if any parts or media/filter bags carb sand etc what and where and so on so on. my other question is, I am placing the new 75g tank with stand and all of the above (it will be a planted tank) this 75g new will replace my current 20g tank. so how would I do to replace it and transfer my current fish stock and cycle the new tank? do I build it in my garage let it cycle once it is cycle empty most of the water, transfer and replace? the setup I was thinking for the canister filter is, I would like it so I do not have to turn anything off while doing the water changes meaning I can empty up to 20% and the filter is still pumping correctly, how can i go upon doing such a setup?[/b]

The cheapest place to buy online is through Big Al's. You can price compare through other places like Doctor Foster & Smith and ThatPetPlace.com and Big Al's will price match plus knock off an additional 5%. If you purchase on a Wednesday you get double points through the VIP program.

Regarding the transfer, run the old filter from the 20 gal tank on the new tank for several weeks in addition to the new filter. Do not add any new fish until the new filter has bacteria growth. I'd say that 2 weeks should be enough time. Even then, add slowly. Otherwise you could encounter a mini-cycle.

When doing water changes you do not have to turn off the filter unless the intake tube is above the water line. You probably won't have to worry about this since Canisters intake tubes are usually alot longer than hobs.

petsolutions.com is often competetive with BigAl's.

When you have the new tank set up and ready, transfer you fish and plants over with your filter from the smaller tank. Run the Rena and the older filter simultaneously for several weeks before withdrawing the od filter. Do not add fish for several weeks.Alternatively, run the rena on the small tank for several weeks if you can, if it won't be too much flow, then move the rena over to the new tank. Or, take all the biomedia out of the small tanks filter and put it in the rena, if you can. If I had a choice, I would run old and new filters simultaneously for a few weeks. I think doing that gives you the most efficient transfer of biofilter.

Oh, filters usually come with biomedia to get started. I have used the seachem porous biomedia with good results. Not the stuff they sell to bind ammonia, etc. Just porous rocks. I havfe found that you usually can fit more biomedia in filters than they provide, and the seachem was the least expesive when I last shopped for it. I keep a liter or two on hand, never know when you might need it.

not to be rude, but bolding your entire post really makes it hard to read... in fact I personally skip over all posts like yours. Just some advice going forward. :)

Fishyfanatic said:
Regarding the transfer, run the old filter from the 20 gal tank on the new tank for several weeks in addition to the new filter. Do not add any new fish until the new filter has bacteria growth. I'd say that 2 weeks should be enough time. Even then, add slowly. Otherwise you could encounter a mini-cycle.

But if I do that my current fish will die wont they? without a filter?

tbonem91 said:
not to be rude, but bolding your entire post really makes it hard to read... in fact I personally skip over all posts like yours. Just some advice going forward. :)

none taken my friend, I don't take anything personal and I corrected that matter thanks for advice.

Yeah, that was assuming that all the fish from the small tank went over to the new larger tank with the filter.

my bad my bad, I got it thanks. I need to cycle first the 75g and then move everything over with filter for a few weeks.

Kaz,

it is simpler than that, if you intend to move all the inhabitants of the 20 over, and not have the 20 gal stocked for a while. You set up the new tank, the new filter, the heater, lights, and get everything (including the filter) running for a day or so to make sure it all works correctly. New water in the new tank gets dechlor of course. Then you move the 20 gal filter over, move the livestock over (acclimating as if you just broought them home from LFS), and the 20 gal's filter will prevent any ammonia or nitrite spikes because it is running on the new tank. If all is well after 2 weeks, start adding fish. After several weeks, you can remove the 20 gal's filter and the new rena should handle the job. You can leave both filters running for whatever lenght of time you want, longer is better.

Lets say you keep the 20 gal's filter on the new tank until you have the new tank up to full stock. Then you can put the 20 gal's filter back on the 20 gal tank and add fish to that too, no wait, no cycle, because the 20 gal's filter has been in service the whole time.

Thus, the 20 gal's filter prevents a cycle on the new tank, and then also prevents a cycle on the 20 gal when you move it back. See? with proper planning, you need only ever have but one cycle in your aquarium life!

Back
Top Bottom