New tank troubles (plants) should i add fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mocean

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just reset my tank 3 weeks ago. it's a 30 gallon tank that was in pretty bad shape. i replaced the water, cleaned the tank and all filters/surfaces. added some sand to the gravel for effect, and planted some FW plants. now my plants are dying. i had some beautiful cabombas and sword plants. the sword plants are losing their color and dying, and the cabombas are withering away. to cycle the tank, i'm using the sole survivor of the tank, a lone tiger barb named phil. i've read that inadaquate co2 levels in the water can cause plants to die. do i need to add more fish? the tank should be plenty cycled, so i would imagine i'm ready. the plan is for 6-8 african ciclids. what can i do to revive my plants? should i start over? should i add fish? oh, i also replaced the bulb with a new one (20w)that runs 24/7. thanks for any help.

(Note: This thread would be better served in the "Planted Tank" forum)

Since you just re-started your tank and in the beginning of the cycle, you don't have any nitrate to nourish the plants.

Your problem is two-fold. You would have to dose KNO3 to provide nutrients however, this could delay or even stall your cycle.

You have sufficient lighting, no CO2 is necessary. You could remove the plants until your tank is cycled and start from there.

Oh, finally...the lights never need to be left on 24/7, you will introduce another problem: algae.

Jchillin said:
You have sufficient lighting,

I wonder about that.....

Is this 20W light fluorescent or incandescent? If fluorescent, what type is it? Why do you have it on 24/7 (that alone could be killing your planrs)?

1-2wpg would be sufficient intensity in my opinion.. for what its worth... I think your lighting is a bit shy of this.. and yes.. 24/7 is not advisable.. about 8-12/hrs should do..
for a low light tank you need alot of surface agitation to keep the CO2 in check..

If your going to stick with low light and non co2 injected youll need to use large plantings to help keep algae in check.. HTH

it's a 20w flourescent bulb. so in your opinion, i should possibly remove all the plants (none of them look to be particularly healthy), cycle the tank till it's readt and add my fish then the plants? i got the plants for free so it's not like i'll suffer a loss. what types of plants are somewhat low maintenance? i thought about some carpet-type plants for the foreground as well, but i don't want them to overrun the whole tank. hmm...another question is about the fish selection. i liked the ciclids b/c they're pretty colorful, but i've heard from various sources that my 30gal would be insufficient for them. should i look at another species perhaps?

also, what parameters do i need to check to see if my tank is properly cycled? it's been running for 3 weeks now. i haven't done ANYTHING to it though (i know i know, but i've been busy) no water changes at all. thanks.

Toirtis said:
Jchillin said:
You have sufficient lighting,

I wonder about that.....

Is this 20W light fluorescent or incandescent? If fluorescent, what type is it? Why do you have it on 24/7 (that alone could be killing your planrs)?

I should have thought of that...

it's a 20w flourescent bulb.

That's good to hear.

I agree, plantgeek is the best great source of aquatic plant info.

Back
Top Bottom