New to heavily planted tanks - need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captainGregor

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am planning on setting up a 10 gallon heavily planted tank. I already have the 55 with some plants and fish so I am not a newbie. I need an advice on properly setting up this one so any input and help will be appreciated. I currently have:
1. The tank and DIY stand
2. Glass top, incandescent strip where I will put 2 CF bulbs at 5000K with total wattage not to exceed 25 watts. (probably will use single 23W CF maybe)
3. Eco-Complete substrate (25 lbs)

I need an advice on filtration. I know I do not need surface agitation so I was wondering that canister, even the smallest one, will be at least 125GPH. My good LFS recommended setting a big sponge with powerhead and that is it. What do you guys think? I will have maybe some cardinal tetras, couple of corys or something, so it will have fish.
I do not have any CO system of any kind so I will try without one and see how that goes.

Please advise.

Hiya Capt. I'm trying to picture a big sponge in a 10g tank. The image doesn't seem so appealing to me (LOL). Perhaps a small corner sponge with a powerhead. But, if it were me I'd try using the cannister.

What plants are you going to try and grow?

Have no idea yet Brian. I would like to find a nice aquascape design on the net with the description of the species and try to follow that. You are right about the big sponge. I was referring to a round stackable sponges I can get on bigals. I could potentially hide it in the corner and mask is with stones, driftwood, etc.
As far as canisters go - i just don't know whether I want to spend the $40+shipping on a smallest Fluval they have for a 10 gallon tank. Seems a little excessive, does it not? I would for a 20G long, but I have already built a stand for 10.

OK, I get the picture :D . I think before you decide on a filter you should plan exactly what kind of look you are going for. I just like the cannisters in a planted tank because it gives you so many options., and takes up such little space.

An internal sponge filter in a 10 takes up a lot of room. I think you would be fine (and I have done this in a heavily planted 10gal with great success) with a small HOB, like an Aquaclear or Whisper, as they do not have a Biowheel and if you keep your water level up there will not be splashing. They are cheap, as well. A Hagen CO2 system is perfect for a 10-gal, with a ladder diffuser. I think you could have a very nice setup like that, and what you describe should work great.

Back
Top Bottom