New to Planted Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masoniac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have no clue how to work my way to get plants in my tank. If any one could guide me in the way that would help. I have a 55 gallon community tank with the standard lighting that comes with it.

If I wanted to move from them would I need better lighting and other additives?

Yes most likely, but if you want to see the best out of your easy plants, id just upgrade the light and get some flourish comp.. You only have to put that in once a week, and you can just get a bulb rated around 6500k, thats good for plants

If I was to get the coralife 48" 216 watt fixture what could I keep then? No co2 as well

Masoniac said:
If I was to get the coralife 48" 216 watt fixture what could I keep then? No co2 as well

You could keep a lot of plants, you would just have a algae farm due to no co2 your adding. If you were you would need a pressurized system to out compete the algae.

Philip99 said:
You could keep a lot of plants, you would just have a algae farm due to no co2 your adding. If you were you would need a pressurized system to out compete the algae.

What is the maintenance on co2?

Masoniac said:
What is the maintenance on co2?

No maintenance really, just, money and time.
I dont reccomend using that fixture, it is way to much light for what your looking for. I reccomend catalinas aquarium fixtures

I personally have a coralife t5 HO fixture total 108 watts for a 55g tank and I can just get away from not having to use co2, the fixtures that you were looking at would require co2 without a question otherwise you would have an algae farm

Philip99 said:
I personally have a coralife t5 HO fixture total 108 watts for a 55g tank and I can just get away from not having to use co2, the fixtures that you were looking at would require co2 without a question otherwise you would have an algae farm

Why would I need co2 with that fixture? Is it because it is higher watts?

Masoniac said:
Why would I need co2 with that fixture? Is it because it is higher watts?

Ya its because you have a much higher wattage, considering that the fixture you were looking at is 2x the amount wattage that that I have. The co2 is just to outcompete the algae. Im no expert maybe aqua chem for someone else could could give you more info on exactly why you need co2 with this fixture

Philip99 said:
Ya its because you have a much higher wattage, considering that the fixture you were looking at is 2x the amount wattage that that I have. The co2 is just to outcompete the algae. Im no expert maybe aqua chem for someone else could could give you more info on exactly why you need co2 with this fixture

I may look into the fixture you have it would save me money

Philip99 said:

From what i understand when plants have higher light they have a higher demand for co2 and nutrients. Co2 sole purpose is to help plants photosynthesize, not outcompete algae. When plants use co2 and nutrients they are out competing algae and algae wont survive. Thats. My understanding

tropicalmackdaddy said:
From what i understand when plants have higher light they have a higher demand for co2 and nutrients. Co2 sole purpose is to help plants photosynthesize, not outcompete algae. When plants use co2 and nutrients they are out competing algae and algae wont survive. Thats. My understanding

Learn something new all the time

Masoniac said:
I may look into the fixture you have it would save me money

Ya see this is my fixture

image-1720434705.jpg

image-1266754574.jpg

I currently have 2 54w 6700k bulbs in it
And I think that I cost me around $150

Philip99 said:
Ya see this is my fixture

I currently have 2 54w 6700k bulbs in it
And I think that I cost me around $150