New to planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwimsWithFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all! I've got about 1.5 years experience in the world of saltwater reef aquariums and now I want to start a planted freshwater. I just have a few questions...

1. I really want to go LED. What's my best bet for LED lighting for a 40g breeder with medium light requirements?

2. If I don't go LED, would a 4 bulb T5 do the trick?

3. Should I go with pressurized Co2? Is DIY possible?

4. For substrate, would a 2" layer of fluorite topped with sand do the trick?

5. An aquaclear 70 should be fine right?

6. Should I use a maxi jet for water circulation?

Thanks!

Hello all! I've got about 1.5 years experience in the world of saltwater reef aquariums and now I want to start a planted freshwater. I just have a few questions...

1. I really want to go LED. What's my best bet for LED lighting for a 40g breeder with medium light requirements?

2. If I don't go LED, would a 4 bulb T5 do the trick?

3. Should I go with pressurized Co2? Is DIY possible?

4. For substrate, would a 2" layer of fluorite topped with sand do the trick?

5. An aquaclear 70 should be fine right?

6. Should I use a maxi jet for water circulation?

Thanks!

1. I'm personally not too familiar with LEDs. Apologies on that one.

2. Depending on brand and quality four bulbs will put you in high light. Co2 will be fun as you are experienced in the technical side of fish keeping.

3. DIY is very possible. Plenty of people run it and have had success with it.

4. Why are you considering capping with sand? Flourite can be left alone. Unless you aesthically like something else.

5. And 6. I think the seventy would be sufficient. If you've got the pump laying around it wouldn't hurt but you may not need it depending on what you are keeping plant wise.

All of this being said you may also want to look at fert dosing and green leaf aquatics has some great packages

Check out the Finnex Ray 2 LED fixture.. Get the daylight 7,000K. Great LED fixture for the price. I'd go pressurized co2..Aquatek makes good regulators for the price as well. Id probably get a small powerhead too for the circulation since you're going with a HOB instead of a canister.

Back
Top Bottom