new to planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemyguppies

Aquarium Advice Freak
my husband and I are new to aquariums in general and when setting up our tanks we randomly picked out live plants that we like, I don't know what any of them are. We just have aquarium sand as our substrate. I recently bought api co2 boost, and seachem flourish comp. Yesterday we bought t5ho lights for our 55 gallon. Is there anything else we should be doing, or anything else we should know about plants? when we bought them we figured we'd just throw them in there and they would grow lol.

Attachments

• 55 gallon.jpg
    55 gallon.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 156
Ok i got some pics idk if my phone will let me post them though

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130307_192243.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130307_192243.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 109
  • ForumRunner_20130307_192249.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130307_192249.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 100
  • ForumRunner_20130307_192255.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130307_192255.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 102
  • ForumRunner_20130307_192301.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130307_192301.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 96
  • ForumRunner_20130307_192308.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130307_192308.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 99
Picture 4 the one with flowers is Rotala Indica in it's emmersed growth form (leaves grown above water). It will change how it looks as it's growth changes to immersed growth (underwater). Picture one isn't very good but might be Brazilian Pennywort. Not sure about 2 and 5. Four again it's kind of hard to see the plant good but could be Micro sword.

Thank you! And for those plants is there anything else i should be doing?

I would get some Flourish Comprehensive and some API Leaf Zone and dose them according to directions, which is once or twice a week. Also you could dose a liquid carbon such as Excel or API CO2 booster which will help with photosynthesis and plant growth.

What type of lighting do you have?

Listen to Rivercats when she speaks. Rivercats speaketh the TRUTH and has saved my but on several occasions. I don't know what kind of substrate you are using, but I have to tell you it is not as simple as tossing the plants in and watching them grow. If you only have gravel with no trace minerals, your plants will show it very shortly. Your plant choices will affect your fish choices and vice versa. The tank temp will be a big factor as well. I owe the surviving plants I have to Rivercats....she is my Coach.

Eventually if you get more and more plants you may want to look into dry ferts which is a much more complete micro and macro dosing system. Also if you get any Swords or Crypts you will need to get some root tabs as they are substrate feeders. Be sure to dose the liquid carbon daily as it breaks down in solution in 12-24 hours. Also be sure to stay away from buying any anacharis or Jungle val's as they tend to melt when liquid carbon is used. I do suggest getting the API Leaf Zone as that contains potassium and iron.

There are no nutrients in sand. You may need to get some root tabs ASAP. There are other methods, but root tabs are the best. liquid ferts encourage algae growth...the kind you don't want. Co2 boosters work in the short run, but if your substrate has no nutrients, your plants will eventually die..... Dwayne

Thanks you guys. This is a lot of great info. I'll go to the lfs tomorrow to try and get some root tabs and leaf zone.

Only root feeding plants suffer without root tabs generally. Don't know what picture two is but it looks like it should be a root feeder.

Ok, well is there any harm in putting the root tabs in if its not a root feeder? I also have a banana plant to now, is that a root feeder?

Back
Top Bottom