New to planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeautMonster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’ve got two 20 gal tanks (one standard high and one hexagonal) with basic low light/low maintenance plants : Java ferns, Anubias, wisteria, an ozelot sword, and some compacta

One tank is stocked with 7 guppies and shrimp and the other has 3 adult and two baby ballon mollies and shrimp.

When I planted, I put some flourish tabs in the substrate (following the directions). Do I need to be adding more fertilizer or something to keep the plants healthy?

I'm not familiar with compacta, but the sword and the wisteria are root feeders, so the tabs will do them good. (Watch out for the wisteria: beautiful plant, but it grows fast and can take over your tank.)

The java fern and anubias feed from the water column, taking their nutrition through their leaves. You'll want a basic liquid fertilizer for them: either Seachem's Flourish or API's Leaf Zone should do the trick.

I don’t have the wisteria planted in the substrate right now. It wasn’t in the best shape coming home from the store. The roots were damaged so I have it floating in the water suction-cupped to the side of the tank. It still looks healthy and the roots are starting to grow back. Will it die if I leave it there or should I put it into the substrate?

I don’t have the wisteria planted in the substrate right now. It wasn’t in the best shape coming home from the store. The roots were damaged so I have it floating in the water suction-cupped to the side of the tank. It still looks healthy and the roots are starting to grow back. Will it die if I leave it there or should I put it into the substrate?

No, it functions as a floater, too, though, because it orients toward the light, it may look a bit odd once you plant it.

Some of the root tab nutrients will leach into the water column, but the best approach in my experience with low tech/low light tanks is a mild water column fertilizer dosing schedule and some tabs under sword/crypt style plants.

Flourish comp. is good for micros, not so much macros, but a dash of KNO3 and KH2PO4 into the column should work really well.

Check out rotalabutterfly nutrient calculator to give you an idea on various dosing products/rates.

Back
Top Bottom