New to Planted Tanks - ADA vs. Do!Aqua vs. Mr. Aqua - Thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone... I apologize if I'm duplicating another thread if this subject has been addressed. If so, please direct me to them.

Anyway, I want to start a clean looking Amano-style planted tank. I really like the frame-less tanks such as ADA, Do!Aqua, and Mr. Aqua's. I don't want to go larger than 10 gallons so I'm thinking of either a nano or pico sized setup. What are your thoughts on the 3 tanks? Value compared to quality? In other words, which will provide the quality and not break the bank too much? Do you guys like the cubes, rectangles, or the bowfronts?

On a side note, for a nano/pico system.. what are your thoughts on the Pierce Co2 systems ::LINK::? It runs $60 versus the ADA advanced c02 system which is like more than $200 bucks! On the pierce, do you know if you can just add on an ADA glass diffuser? I really like how those look...LOL

As for filtration, I know a good amount of folks with ADA style tanks use Eheim classic canister filters.. However, they are a little pricey. So I've seen some use the Rapids Mini Canister with success. I believe you can change out the ugly flexi-hose and use some clear ones. Here's the example that I'm referring to ::LINK:: Have you used them?

I don't know about the other 2, but I can tell you that the ADA tanks are a work of art. They're absolutely gorgeous.

Thanks neilanh for the response :band: . I suppose this forum doesn't contain a lot of people that want to chime in on this one... LOL

It's all good.. since when I've posted this, I've been looking around the web.. I thought I'd just post some of my findings here so that if anyone stumbled upon this thread there would be some answers.

Anyway, here's a brief summary of what I found in comparing all 3 brands of tanks. ADA is the king of the 3 brands in terms of quality and appearance. Subsequently, they are the most expensive but also the most well built (in terms of materials and craftsmanship). Do!Aqua is a sub-brand of ADA and are a bit more affordable. Both are pretty on par with each other and originate from Japan (but you probably already know that). The only difference other than sizes of tanks available between ADA and Do!Aqua is that the ADA's have a low iron glass which results in increased clarity. While the Do!Aquas have a slight green hue to them. Both brands, from all the reviews I've seen, have superb workmanship and excellent silicone work on them. All the edges line-up cleanly with precision.

You can compare the tanks and prices of ADA and Do!Aquas at:
Aqua Design Amano USA/ADGshop.com- now available in the U.S.A, prouldy offered by Aquarium Design Group. The finest planted aquarium products.

Although, I did find a LFS that sells them... If I go with one of these tanks, I will definitely support him over an online retailer. In fact, I've seen these tanks in-person, fully setup and NIB, and YES...they are truly a "work of art." Oh boy, I think I'm obsessing...LOL

On another note, through my research, I found a (relatively speaking) newcomer to the frameless aquarium market here in the US, Mr. Aqua. They claim to have high clarity glass of 5mm to 10mm thick (similarly to ADA and Do!Aqua) and specially formulated silicone manufactured in Germany to provide the strength to their aquariums. They seem to be a really good, less expensive Taiwan version, alternative or step in the right direction if you will, to ADA and Do!Aqua. Most of the reviews that I've read in other forums point to an overall positive assessment. The only gripe, which most dismiss due to price point, is the slight (very slight) overlap on the edges (Example pics: LINK). Moreover, the glass is not the low iron type as the ADA's so there is a light green hue to it (which doesn't really bother me IMO).

Overall, I'm sort of stuck at a crossroads... I sort of want to spend the extra money and get an ADA... Although, I think when the tank is setup nice with rocks, wood, and plants.. the Do!Aqua and the Mr. Aquas aren't looking half bad considering the lower price. However, I want to see a Mr. Aqua in-person to make a final decision. We'll see... My bday is around the corner and maybe I'll get an early bday present this year from my GF! (fingers crossed) :loopy:

SOME LINKS:

Mr. Aqua Tanks:
Azoo Saltwater Fish, Coral & Reef Aquariums

Mr. Aqua sample pics and useful links:
7.5 gal Mr. Aqua Bowfront SW - SCAPE - Southern California Aquatic Plants Enthusiasts Club
Mr. Aqua 12" cube - SCAPE - Southern California Aquatic Plants Enthusiasts Club
Dean's 1 Foot Cube Tank
Any one tried Mr. Aqua Frameless tank ? - Page 2
Mr. Aqua Aquarium Tank - PALHS Online Community Forum
3g Mr. Aqua Iwagumi

Cool ADA inspiration:
ADA Mini-M: Mom's Tank
Mini S - Aquascaping World Forum
Mini M V3 - Aquascaping World Forum

Do!Aqua Sample:
xximanoobxx's Do!aqua Mini-m - My First Planted tank - New Pics! (10/9/09)
Picture I took with my cellphone at Nature Aquarium in Santa Monica, CA.... It's a Do!Aqua Cube Garden
img_1088356_0_46ba4a475066f04b87b0cf0e982b4a23.jpg

ADA is nice, my previous tank was a full blown ADA setup with everything ADA had to offer. Price not cheap but it functioned and was super pretty to look at. If I could have done all ADA with my new setup I would have in a second but alas the bare tank was around $4000 without shipping. :(

ADA is nice, my previous tank was a full blown ADA setup with everything ADA had to offer. Price not cheap but it functioned and was super pretty to look at. If I could have done all ADA with my new setup I would have in a second but alas the bare tank was around $4000 without shipping. :(

Good lord! $4000?!? What size was that tank? Did you get all the ADA glassware bells & whistles (i.e. intake & outflow, diffuser, drop checker, etc.), ADA stand, ADA lighting, ADA co2, and so forth (aside from tank)? Please post a picture if you have it...

If I go ADA (or another brand for that matter), I'll start small.. max 7.5 gal (definitely < 10 gal) only due to my limited space in my apartment.. I'll also save on shipping because I have some LFS that sell all 3 brands of tanks that I'm eying up. Although very sleek and sophisticate, the OEM ADA lighting is too expensive for my taste (at least for right now). I might go with a Catalina lighting system (Lighthouse model 2x 13w 12") for roughly 50 bucks and either build an apparatus for hanging it over the tank or buy the $10 legs to have it sit on top. I already have the Nano Cube stand (pictured below) in which I can use for my planned setup (came free with my nano cube). I'd probably use small HOB filter for now and upgrade to something more elaborate later... or use a Rapids Mini Canister filter and just change out the tubing (I think they run around 20 bucks). I intend on getting a Do!Aqua co2 glass diffuser and probably go DIY or try out the pierce co2 system kit that runs about 60 bucks (seems okay considering the ADA advance system can run > $200). So I'm basically going to cut corners here and there to save off the overall cost. I think I can get everything up and running with a rough estimate of less than 300~400 bucks or so (also considering substrate, rocks and/or wood, small fish and/or shrimp, and plants) and slowly upgrade equipment components over time.... we'll see :crazyeyes:

Here's the inspirational setup I'm aiming to emulate:
main.php

where in cali are you?

the way i see it is.... with ADA you pay for the name.... it looks nice and if you really want a show tank and have the money to waste you might as well go with it. like you said do aqua is just a cheaper ada not as good but cheaper. there a few people around ca i know with mr aqua.... there are also many other frameless aquarium makers around.

my other thought if you only want 1-2 tanks and you want it to be art and dont care about money go as top of the line as you can get. me i am the other way i see a small tank that costs $100-200 and think how big of a tank i could get instead.

there are also other canisters out there that will work. in that pic they are using glass pipes which are not cheap too. tom rapids canister is a ok option. not a huge fan but it will look better then a hob. i personally want to get as much for my money.

$4000 for what i guess is around 150 gallon like the one you have now?

for me $4000 got me 20 tanks with heaters filters lights fish plants co2 and change to spare vs just 1 tank.

@mgamer20o0, I'm actually in Van Nuys... However, I grew up in Santa Monica. Darn... the more I research and see other people's tanks (online pics and youtube) the more I'm leaning toward an ADA. I agree though, if I had the room, I'd get a cheaper brand of aquarium and get something much larger.. but due to my limited space, I'll get something small and super attractive. One other thing.. I'm now uncertain about the Rapids canister.. I've been reading some mixed reviews about it. Some users have complained about it leaking... So I'll just leave the filter up in the air for now.

My favorite LFS over here is in SM.. it's called Nature Aquarium.. just take a look at the owner's ADA display tanks! Ummm, am I getting influenced....u think? LOL

img_1089769_0_38ff1ea0fe3900e5ee857e7c260ba931.jpg

i know the store. you can also look into the other small canisters like the xp1 and c series 160.

i know the store. you can also look into the other small canisters like the xp1 and c series 160.

Where are you at in Cali? BTW, what are your thoughts on the filters you mentioned versus an Eheim Classic Canister 2213? They all seem around the same price range of less than $100.

by long beach. they are great filters. i run 10+ xp canisters and my next one will be the c series. eheims are a good filter too. this place tends to have a good price for canisters....
Kens Fish Home of Quality Fish Food, And Supplies At Excellent Prices.

might be a drive but you should check out
COAST Fish Club, Costa Mesa, California

or
LAFishFanatics
This freshwater fish club meets in the San Fernando Valley, the last Sunday of each month. Call 818-370-6930 or email lafishfanatics@hotmail.com.

You are right, the ADA are beautiful! I wish I had known about these before I went out and got my kinda ugly 40 gallon for my front room. I was dying to put my little goldfish in a bigger space -- I actually found a really great victorian goldfish tank (but WAY too pricey at a little under $12k http://www.americanclassical.net/janda/products/products_details.php?productid=279 )

Does anyone have experience with ADA products other than tanks? planting tools, or riccia stones? Now that my goldfish are out of my little tank, I'm redoing it with 2 otos and a small school of lemon tetras or some other tightly schooling fish. Looking for a nice ground cover. I have medium light right now, low tech (I can't do the CO2 and all that -- just good old fish waste and water changes). Suggestions? Thanks. This forum has been loads of fun and kept me up far too late at night! :)

Yeah the ADA products (lily pipes, diffusers, tools, etc.) are nice but a bit overpriced! If you were a professional aquascaper (or rich for that matter) than I can see where the justification would be to get the ADA tools. I think I'd just go with the ADA tank and buy other branded glassware and tools. For example, I've read that people have used medical equipment such as long scissors (for pruning) and long tweezers (for planting) at a much lower price. And for spreading the substrate you can use a straight edge such as a plaster spatula (as opposed to a $40 ADA Sand Flattener).

I think for the lily pipes, way down the road (actually last on my list of equipment for my planned tank), I would go with something like Cal Aqua Labs... which you can get at a reasonable price in comparison to ADA's and Do!Aqua... I saw some on Planted Aquarium Products | CO2 Regulator | Green Leaf Aquariums. I found other glassware products on GLA at a lower price than the ADA stuff.

Back
Top Bottom