New to planted tanks (help!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone,
I am kind of new to planted tanks, i need alot of help! I am going to set up a 5gal planted with a pair of guppies. I have some questions for whoever can answer them
1)I have pond "planting media" made by aquarium pharmaceuticals. I have some left over from when i potted my lillies, Is it possible to use this as a substrate for my planted tank? It does not cloud water or anything and it is perfectly safe for fish(pond fish at least).
2)What other things will i need to add to the water to help these plants grow without hurting the fish?
3)What type of ligting is recommended?
4)What are the names of some easy plants to grow, that will not grow very high, and tank up alot of room.(only very hardy plants please)
5)How do i clean a planted tank?
I think that about covers everything i need to know, if anybody has some extra helpful tips, please tell me about them. I am really excited to set up a planted tank :D
Tank you! :D

Start with the series of stickies at the top of the forum. We cover everything except your substrate question.

Direct from their website, "...It is recommended for all potted aquatic plants." potted being the key word.

its probably going to get stirred up too much, and is too light, for an aquarium. I would stick to something like eco complete if you wnat a plant specific substrate.

shultz aquatic plant substrate is cheaper than Eco, but I don't like the color or the lightness of it either...but others like it.

there are plenty of options out there.

Back
Top Bottom