New to planting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Plus one there - any side getting natural light I find more algae prone.

Definitely agree. Plus in the summer it can heat the tank to unhealthy levels, reducing amount of O2 available to the fish.

Tank looks good with the upgraded substrate! I don't have much experience with fluorescent lighting, but I'm pretty sure almost any replacement bulb from a pet store will provide better lighting for the plants than that bulb. The 4200K temp from the bulb you currently have has most of the light in the 495-600nm range, which is what our eyes see the most of. But plants need focus in the 400-525nm and 600-725nm range, which is where the visible light from the current lamp is weakest. In other words, the light "looks" good to us because we can see it, but the light it provides really can't be used by the plants.

Hope this info helps!

Yes yall have helped alot... thank yall so much

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

And I didn't know I didn't have to put the gravel back over it. I was so glad. I have black in my other tank and love it... that colorful stuff too away the nature look

And I didn't know I didn't have to put the gravel back over it. I was so glad. I have black in my other tank and love it... that colorful stuff too away the nature look

I agree - unless part of a theme I'm not a fan of bright coloured gravels.

I agree - unless part of a theme I'm not a fan of bright coloured gravels.

Big +1 there.

I had it as a kid (half black half blue) and now I slightly cringe when seeing people buy it unless it's for a small beta tank or something like that. I'm a fan of the dark substrates that help to show off the natural colors of the fish.

But having 3 kids myself I wouldn't tell them no if that's what they picked for their tank... Sacrifices made as a parent.

Back
Top Bottom