New to Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KateWantsAngels

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have two Angels added some wood in the tank and I heard they are healthier with real plants. I'm willing to embark on this and give it a shot but I am literally clueless on what to do.

Planted Tanks

Have two Angels added some wood in the tank and I heard they are healthier with real plants. I'm willing to embark on this and give it a shot but I am literally clueless on what to do.

Hello Kate...

Real plants make aquarium fish feel comfortable. I guess a well planted tank makes them feel like they're in their natural surroundings. The more plants, the more stable the water and the fish are healthier.

Before you buy the plants, research your fish to make sure they won't make your plants lunch. Some larger fish can be very destructive and make a nicely planted tank difficult.

If your Angels will leave plants alone, then look into the proper lighting for the plants. T5, 6,500K bulbs or in that range are very good and typically a couple in a light strip is enough to grow low to moderate light plants, which includes quite a large number.

Next, check on fertilizers. If your tank is heavily stock with fish, then that should be enough for the plants. Some like to dose "trace elements" too, so that would be another short research project.

If you avoid the higher end, more demanding plants, then having a nicely planted tank is pretty simple.

B

Back
Top Bottom