New to plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivers2k

Aquarium Advice Addict
As the title says I am new to plants. I have had tanks a very long time and appreciate planted tanks but never got into doing one myself.

I was thinking about getting an annubias for my tank. Not doing a full planted tank just want one or two for my central american cichlid tank. I have read that anubias or java fern are the only thing Rainbows Cichlids and Severum wont eat. What are you thoughts on this? Any experience keeping annubias with these fish?

About a month ago I put a new piece of driftwood in that is leaching a little bit of tanins not allot but a little and I do weekly water changes. How do tannins effect plants do they like it, or hate it? Will plants help clear the tannins?

I was hoping to attache the plants to either end of the drift wood can I slip the roots into the crevices or will I have to tie it down? The piece of wood front center is what I was thinking. I would like to put anubias on the far right side. and at the top. or since its higher and closer to the light is there something else I should put up there. keeping in mind it has to be severum safe :)

Thanks all.

First off I'm glad your trying some plants! It brings a wonderful Element into your tank with a bunch of pluses!! Anubias are great plants as they produces a tom of hiding places and shade. Also you can tie them down to your driftwood or plant them ( just make SURE THE RHIZOME is above the sand as the captures the light!)

40 gallon
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco
With live plants in the tank

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

I successfully kept anachris in with these two big guys:

Attachments

• big guys.jpg
    big guys.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 90
I'd say stick with the anubias and java, i use green zip ties to fasten the plants to dw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pretty ok;)

Attachments

• 1421355192854.jpg
    1421355192854.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 84
  • 1421355205192.jpg
    1421355205192.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 1421355217806.jpg
    1421355217806.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 82
Looking good. Ok I think I might get a plant tomorrow.

Plants are fine with tannins except if they color the water so dark that they aren't getting sufficient light.

You can use gel superglue and just lightly glue the rhizome to the wood.
There are vids on YouTube about the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just picked up my first plant Anubias Cofeefolia. I will post pics monday.

Just picked up my first plant Anubias Cofeefolia. I will post pics monday.

Beautiful leaf patterns, i tried it but high light ruined it with algae.. my lfs hasn't had it since or else I'd try it again.

The plant is doing very well and I love it. It really does add something to the tank. I love it so much I picked up a second plant yesterday and remembered I promised a pic. So here you go. There are bubbles on the leaves because I just did a water change.

I really cant wait until they grow out so I can clip and move some to the other piece of drift wood.

BTW my 3 year old helped me glue the bottom plant down and my 4 year old helped me with the other. The first thing my 3 year old did this morning while rubbing his eyes was check on the the plant. He pointed at it and said "member that daddy". We sat together and talked about it a bit. I think it will remain as a fond memory.

Back
Top Bottom