New to plants please help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big-j

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was just wondering about very low light plants that will work good with rcs shrimp in my 10g I have an unknown moss ball and two unknown plants my lfs said were low light as well as one aponogeton but I want some very prolific easy to maintain plants any ideas?

how about anacharis? it's lowlight little maitnence and i think would look cool with shrimp

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium

Depends on lighting. Anacharis does better with a little more light than the 3 I mentioned. The less light, the slower they grow. What kind of lighting do you have?

mfdrookie516 said:
Depends on lighting. Anacharis does better with a little more light than the 3 I mentioned. The less light, the slower they grow. What kind of lighting do you have?

my bad rook my tank had 2wpg and within a month or two the had small to medium shoots of new growth growin out of em so i figured they were low light

No, don't get me wrong. They are what I would consider low light too. But... what I meant was they require a little more light than what I mentioned. I kept anacharis in a 10g with two 13w cfls and it grew like crazy. But the OP said very low light. Depending on what they have, your suggestion may very well be a good option for them.

ohh ok miissed the very low light part not to track away fromm the op but is 2wpg good for anacharis and anubias? i paln on upgradeing to 20 25w clfs but not till mid april

I don't think its OT. It may help the OP too. WPG really isn't a good rule of thumb. Too many variables. 2wpg of T5HO and 2wpg of T8 is totally different. If you can grow anacharis with your lights, it's most certainly fine for anubias. All 4 of the plants mentioned in this thread will do fine in low, medium, and high light.

well im usein incandescent in a 15 tankk 2 15w bulbs my anacharis did really well so would the anubias do as well of not better because ikno incans arent the best choice for plant growth

so tru imo incans dont seem so bad im worried about doin upgrade to cfl in fear of algee

For first timers I always recommend anacharis for one reason, it the cheapest price where ever I go. Try it, see if you like it and if you don't you're out 1.99. With other plants you can pay up to 10 bucks for a small bunch of plants (yes, even low light plants).

IMHO, learn what it's like first hand, then move up. Some of the beautiful planted tanks you see here are by people that have been doing it for years and practice makes perfect.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

I have a ten gallon kit from walmart with stock hood and lights, I have no idea what they are putting out or size or anything what would y'all suggest

Ok. That's going to give you plenty of light for what you're looking at. Any of the plants listed (anubias, java fern, java moss or any kind of moss really, and anacharis) will do fine with that light. There are others too. crypts would be an option. I think java fern and anubias are the best options for very little maintenance. You wouldn't even have to trim them. Anacharis can get big. I had some I took out of a 10g that were 32" long. I just stopped trimming them for a couple months. If trimming isn't a problem (it literally requires you to take scissors and cut them) then anacharis would be fine too. I think moss is good for RCS.

Ok awesome frankly the tanks pretty ugly right now I'm a horrible aquascaper, but i much prefer natural over artificial and I really would like a heavily planted tank without co2, thanks so much :)

Don't feel too bad. I'm not great at scaping either. It comes in time. I have learned a lot in the past month with my 40 breeder. It's all about figuring out what works for you. After all, it's your tank ;)

Back
Top Bottom