new to site and live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starbear

Aquarium Advice Regular
We have a 3 gallon tank that has three small gold fish, I was told by a petstore that I could just put plants into the tank which has been going for a while, even after just finishing treating ick. I took their advise and put in two grass like plants(cyperus helferi) and two small clover like plants(lobelia cardinalis) and my tank got very murky. does any one know why? did I do thing wrong?

Welcome to AA

I'm sorry to tell you...
You're going to have to change water twice a day to keep fish alive till you can return them. Goldfish need Big tanks or ponds. I hope you have good water conditioner.

Do an immediate large water change.
Test the water. Post results, we'll try to help.

Absolute minimum for Fancies ?
20g first fish and 10-20g per each additional.

Comets/Commons need ponds.

Please return or rehome the fish.

A 3g can have perhaps a single Betta

OR
you can have plants and Cherry shrimp ... No fish.

The GF will suffer and die in such a small tank. Ammonia poisoning.

http://youtu.be/o94YZZLJkRM

http://youtu.be/9Xx5JxzmkUc

I'm very sorry the store did not give you tips on proper Goldfish (GF) care.

Fancies can live over 15yrs
Commons can live over 25yrs.

They need space to grow. They are big fish.

Good luck.

If you want a forever tank for 3 Fancy GF ? Look at 75-100g tanks with
Canister filters rated at 2-4x tank volume.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pet stores do not always give the correct advice. Why was he suggesting plants? Goldfish will eat plants. If he was suggesting plants to improve the water quality, then he should have told you that tank size is WAY too small for even one goldfish. They will need a tank at least 10 times that size, bigger then they get to be adults.

Lots of reasons why the tank is murky. How big is the filter on the tank. Goldfish are prolific poopers and very messy fish that produce large amounts of waste. Did you cycle the tank? Have you checked your water parameters? If could be a bacterial bloom from waste. If could be from rotting plant debris from the goldfish nobbling on the plants. Are you changing the water on a regular basis?

In any event, those three fish will rapidly outgrow that tank and the ability to keep it clean with any amount of filtration and water changes.Your best bet would be to return the goldfish, get rid of the plants and buy a betta for the tank...but make sure you cycle it first.

I need to get test strips, will do that asap.

They are the kind my friend said where "feeder fish" for big fish? Will I be able to keep up with them getting bigger and moving them to a new tank as they grow? How big of a pond do they need?

my 3 year old wanted fish for so long, and the store said these where easy...now I feel terrible for listening to them. The plants where sugested to help with the water quality, he didnt say anything about them eating it. Our filter is a small one that came with the tank.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh and ive been doing 10% changes every week because the water gets kinda gross and did a 50% change today because the water looked really bad

Skip test strips. Liquid test kits are more accurate. Use Prime water conditioner if you have it. It can help convert the Ammonia to a safer form.

To live their entire life I think 150g pond sounds right. It needs to be deep enough for them to hide and also not freeze solid.

For now, you could get a 40-50g sturdy plastic bin and put a filter on that. Or get a big tank used. Clean carefully, esp if u use bleach !!

I'm sorry to hear about the bad advise you have been given. If it makes you feel better I once (first fish ever) had a gold fish in a bowl on my kitchen table no filter no plants....I never knew anything about keeping fish, there was no fish forums I could rely on for advise, it was learn as you go and listen to the pet stores.

Even though it is at the cost of the fishes lives, it was definitely my way into the hobby, which can be so enjoyable.

My advise would be to return the fish if you can or rehome them. Go on your local classifieds and try to find an actual tank, even something as small as a ten gallon can house some small and interesting fish for your daughters enjoyment! I think you will quickly enjoy it too :)

Fishtank store sold me, and the set up we have

Attachments

• 1399940181312.jpg
    1399940181312.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 54
Fish stores often do not give the most helpful advice. some are very good, other just want to move merchandise and will sell you anything...while others just hire people with no clue and give no training. I've got two decent stores near me, both chain stores and both give excellent advice. Aquarium Adventure/Petland has a very well trained staff who keep fish and know what they are talking about, even the young kids who work there. However, their fish prices are very expensive.

My local Petsmart also has three good sales associates and the rest are so-so. Their fish are also quite good, they take excellent care of their tanks and their dollar per fish sales are terrific. The selection though is somewhat run of the mill.

and to answer your earlier question, yes a horse trough or ant stock tank can be used as a pond. You just need to make sure it is deep enough so the fish will not freeze or heat it. you'll also need filtration, sterilizers, etc., and that will have to winterized as well if your area gets below freezing in the winters.

Back
Top Bottom