new to tank plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm trying to balance my water chemistry using plants in my tanK. The nitrates are around 40 ppm and I want plants to use it. I put in some Anacharis about a week ago and it just doesn't look like it is thriving. The water temp is 80F. I leave the flourescent light on for 12 - 14 hours a day. If this isn't going to work, what are some plants I can grow in this 29 gallon tank that will thrive. I should mention that I have a UGF. Also, should I be adding something to the water for the plants?

You likely lack enough light. A typical 29gallon comes with a 20watt light. This is enough to grow java fern, java moss, a few crypt species, and anubias nana. It may keep your anachris alive, but it'll never thrive.

In non-planted tanks, to keep nitrates reasonable, you do weekly water changes (assuming your tap water isn't loaded with nitrate).

Also, as suggested by Jchillin, if you can get under those plates and extract the gunk that might help as well.

And, as dr_girlfriend indicates, 40ppm by itself is not necessarily a horrible thing, unless you are having other issues that you feel are the result of the nitrate. Treat the tank, not the test kit, I always say.

I'm not that concerned about it, as it is within the safe range on my kit. I just wanted to lower it a little and I thought it may support plants.

Well you're right that it would support plants. But the first thing plants need is light.
High light, CO2 injected tanks full of something like hygrophilia might tear through 5ppm of nitrate a day, and would need to be dosed with nitrate to keep the plants healthy.

Back
Top Bottom