New to tank with plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brendan99

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello I am new to tanks in general but even newer to a tank with plants in it I have a few questions. Number 1 I's salt ok to have in your tank I add a bit with every water change. Number 2 I have plant food but not sure how often to Dias the tank.

To give u an idea of the tank it's a 28 gal bowfront with 2 merineland 150 penguin bioweel filters. A merineland led night/day lamp double bright. In the tank I have some fake plants as well as some plastic rock formations.

Now for what's living in it lol

- 2 ferns
- 1 seeweed looking stuff (can't remember name)
- 1 moss ball
- 2 fancy angel fish
- 3 black phantom tetras
- 2 rummy nose tetras
- 2 mollies
- 1 sword tail

Thanks in advance for any advice I'll be posting a pic on this three soon.

If it is literally a pinch of salt, that should be fine with any plant. I'm not sure how that makes a difference to the fish though, either. :)

The plant food should say on it. Some are more concentrated than others. I use Flora Pride and always keep it dosed 10ml (a lid full) per 10 gallons. When I water change I replace what I took out.

Well I usually change about 3-5 gal on a water change and I add a table spouse or water salt witch is the recommended dose per 5 gal and I fill up a 6 gal jug of water

Is your tablespoon flat or heaped? What is your reason for dosing salt? Are you being recommended to treat a parasite this way? If you don't have any illnesses they shouldn't need the salt.

It can help with parasites, but if your fish are not new or showing no signs you shouldn't really need to do it if you're doing the necessary water changes. You might be able to save yourself some money there and it'll help the plants. The amount you're salting may actually affect some.

A flat TEAspoon of salt per gallon would actually give you brackish conditions rather than freshwater, you're pretty close to that with tablespoons and brackish isn't the best condition long term.

Hope I make sense. :)

It does make sense I'm doing it a) because the guy at big al's sest it would be good for my live barers and my betta's witch I use the same water for and b) I just got my angels and I think there's fungus on one as well I think one of my mollies has ick on it.

What kind of plants are they? The "ferns" are most likely not aquatic plants.

Here are pictures of the planks in my tank

Attachments

• image-3630872862.jpg
    image-3630872862.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 60
  • image-51605195.jpg
    image-51605195.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 77
  • image-3261687584.jpg
    image-3261687584.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 69
Ok they are java ferns. They are aquatic. No issue. Was thinking you had bought the "aqua ferns" from one of the big chains.

Back
Top Bottom