Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Okay so I have a 55 gallon tank with 2 filters on it (the one that came with it an a aqua clear) I have sand as the substrate. Anyways.. I'm planning on decorating my tank with live plants. So any advice would be helpful. What kind of lighting? Or can I just use the light that I have now. The light is the ones that come with the tank from like petco. can I get any plants? or can I only do certain ones? I read that plants need to be with plants that are compatible with each other. Also, how would i do the water changes? That's pretty much all of my questions.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to DanTheGuppyMan Send a message via Yahoo to DanTheGuppyMan Send a message via Skype™ to DanTheGuppyMan
What is your current lighting if you know? Are they bulbs? Likely, you can only grow the very low light plants. For water changes, just dont vacuum the sand or anything where the plants are.

----------------AquaScaping Styles - Which style fits you?--------------
DanTheGuppyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ya I don't really know what kind it is.. All I know is that it's one of the lights that come in the kit from like petco and petsmart.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateelover92 View Post
Ya I don't really know what kind it is.. All I know is that it's one of the lights that come in the kit from like petco and petsmart.
Well, you would need to identify the type and strength of the lighting. If not, I suggest getting appropriate lighting types for the type of plants you want.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tank of the Month Award

I have just set up a 36 gal bow front (upgrade from a 5 gal Chi that I had for 2 years), and I have planted Narrow Leaf Chain Sword, Rangeri Sword, Water Sprite, Bronze WendtII, and one that I don't remember the name. The lady at the store that I buy my supplies & fish from accidentally gave me the wrong light, but when I get it, I'll have a double T5. I've been reading about CO2 and she never mentioned that. Is this something that I need to plan on doing in order to maintain a healthy planted tank?
Old 03-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you're talking about CO2 diffusers, you shouldn't need them. Just don't put too much air stones, one is more then enough If you want one and/or are scared about the health of you're plants, you can get them, they aren't very expensive.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishanatic View Post
If you're talking about CO2 diffusers, you shouldn't need them. Just don't put too much air stones, one is more then enough If you want one and/or are scared about the health of you're plants, you can get them, they aren't very expensive.
I was wondering about an air stone as well; my "aquarium lady" never mentioned on of those either. Can you tell me what the main benefit will be for the tank/plants if I get one?
Old 03-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamroper View Post
I was wondering about an air stone as well; my "aquarium lady" never mentioned on of those either. Can you tell me what the main benefit will be for the tank/plants if I get one?
An air stone diffuses oxygen, witch isn't the best for the plants, as it also removes co2. When the bubble pops at the surface, co2 is exchanges for oxygen or dioxygen(not sure). Co2 diffusers are basically what it sounds like. It diffuses co2 in the water. Plants need co2 to survive, so if the co2 amount is too small, they might die.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tank of the Month Award

Then I guess it sounds like I don't need the CO2 or the air stone. I've never had a planted tank before so I want to be sure to take good care of the plants. I've read about different fertilizers and other supplements to aid in the nutrition. Do you have any advice for feeding the plants and does it sound to you like I have the right plants for the kind of lighting I'll have?
I appreciate the help!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

This Should help you:
Aquarium Plant Nutrition
Not sure about the lighting, i'm sorry!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tank of the Month Award

Thanks so much for your help. I'll learn as I go and hope that there aren't too many casualties! This is a great website for people like me that are new to the hobby. Thank you again.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamroper View Post
Thanks so much for your help. I'll learn as I go and hope that there aren't too many casualties! This is a great website for people like me that are new to the hobby. Thank you again.
My pleasure. I hope you succeed

Best Of Luck!~

Tags
plant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com