New to the plant life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manateelover92

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so I have a 55 gallon tank with 2 filters on it (the one that came with it an a aqua clear) I have sand as the substrate. Anyways.. I'm planning on decorating my tank with live plants. So any advice would be helpful. What kind of lighting? Or can I just use the light that I have now. The light is the ones that come with the tank from like petco. can I get any plants? or can I only do certain ones? I read that plants need to be with plants that are compatible with each other. Also, how would i do the water changes? That's pretty much all of my questions.

What is your current lighting if you know? Are they bulbs? Likely, you can only grow the very low light plants. For water changes, just dont vacuum the sand or anything where the plants are.

Ya I don't really know what kind it is.. All I know is that it's one of the lights that come in the kit from like petco and petsmart.

Ya I don't really know what kind it is.. All I know is that it's one of the lights that come in the kit from like petco and petsmart.
Well, you would need to identify the type and strength of the lighting. If not, I suggest getting appropriate lighting types for the type of plants you want.

I have just set up a 36 gal bow front (upgrade from a 5 gal Chi that I had for 2 years), and I have planted Narrow Leaf Chain Sword, Rangeri Sword, Water Sprite, Bronze WendtII, and one that I don't remember the name. The lady at the store that I buy my supplies & fish from accidentally gave me the wrong light, but when I get it, I'll have a double T5. I've been reading about CO2 and she never mentioned that. Is this something that I need to plan on doing in order to maintain a healthy planted tank?

If you're talking about CO2 diffusers, you shouldn't need them. Just don't put too much air stones, one is more then enough:) If you want one and/or are scared about the health of you're plants, you can get them, they aren't very expensive.

If you're talking about CO2 diffusers, you shouldn't need them. Just don't put too much air stones, one is more then enough:) If you want one and/or are scared about the health of you're plants, you can get them, they aren't very expensive.

I was wondering about an air stone as well; my "aquarium lady" never mentioned on of those either. Can you tell me what the main benefit will be for the tank/plants if I get one?:thanks:

I was wondering about an air stone as well; my "aquarium lady" never mentioned on of those either. Can you tell me what the main benefit will be for the tank/plants if I get one?:thanks:
An air stone diffuses oxygen, witch isn't the best for the plants, as it also removes co2. When the bubble pops at the surface, co2 is exchanges for oxygen or dioxygen(not sure). Co2 diffusers are basically what it sounds like. It diffuses co2 in the water. Plants need co2 to survive, so if the co2 amount is too small, they might die.

Then I guess it sounds like I don't need the CO2 or the air stone. I've never had a planted tank before so I want to be sure to take good care of the plants. I've read about different fertilizers and other supplements to aid in the nutrition. Do you have any advice for feeding the plants and does it sound to you like I have the right plants for the kind of lighting I'll have?
I appreciate the help!

Thanks so much for your help. I'll learn as I go and hope that there aren't too many casualties! This is a great website for people like me that are new to the hobby. Thank you again.

Thanks so much for your help. I'll learn as I go and hope that there aren't too many casualties! This is a great website for people like me that are new to the hobby. Thank you again.
My pleasure. I hope you succeed:)

Best Of Luck!~

Back
Top Bottom