New to the site as well as to live plants.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hvnzfire

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to the site as well as to live plants in my tanks. I was wondering if I could get some advice on what type plants I should get and how to keep them alive. Also where to buy said plants. I have looked at lots of plants. Here are a few I was thinking about. Fissidens spla, glossostigma elatinoides, and pellia. I have a 37G freshwater tank, glass beads are what I have used for the gravel, I keep the temp at around 72 to 74 degrees, light is on 12 hours a day. I have 4 goldfish right now to break in the tank (they will go to another home because I intend to have live bearers mainly. I also will have a couple of plecos. Any advice as to were to purchase plants etc.. as well as advice on easy to keep plants for a beginner would be much appreciated. If you know a good place to buy fish that would be great too (Tupelo, Ms). The dimensions of my 37 gallon tank 30"W x 12"D x 22"H. I have an LED hood.:fish1:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AA! We hope ya enjoy :)

Plants with.me has been kinda trial and error so i cant really help as much as some others here. If you dont get your answers ask the questions in the freshwater planted tank section of the forum. Good luck

For the fish, you might want to read up on fish-in cycling: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice It would have been easier to do the fish-in cycle with the fish you're planning to get; 4 goldies in that size tank is going to produce a lot of ammonia and it's already overstocked I'm afraid. Also if you're going to do plecos don't get Commons as they grow too large for most tanks, stay with the smaller types like bristlenose.

LED lights probably won't grow the types of plants you're wanting but I'll let others say more about that.

The species you listed are generally on the higher end of demand, requiring good light, fert, and co2. I also generally do not recommend glosso, as there are more user-friendly plants on the market that achieve a similar effect.

Welcome Am New As Well.....Hope you enjoy this site!!! Many nice ppl here who are willing to help!!! ^_^

Back
Top Bottom