Newbie Here; Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mashiro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, I have a 10 gallon planted betta tank.

As you can see from the pics, I have an algae problem. Any ideas on how I could cut that algae out of there?

Substrate: Eco-Complete
Lighting: 2x 10w 6500k bulbs
Inhabitants: 1 Betta, 15+ Ghost shrimp, 4 Mystery snails, 1 Nerite snail

Also, here's my betta, Maximus, flaring at the camera!

Attachments

• PICT0770.jpg
    PICT0770.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 72
  • PICT0738.jpg
    PICT0738.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 63
None of those suggestions are likely to help the situation at hand. This is a case a Cyanobacteria, aka BGA.

BGA is in fact a bacteria. The definitive treatment is a course of erythromycin, an antibiotic, though people are often understandably hesitant to dose their tanks with an antibiotic. The alternative is spot treating with hydrogen peroxide and a blackout, although I've only had minimal success with this method.

As far as prevention goes, BGA is caused by one or a number of the following: including high light, low nitrates, low oxygen, low flow, high organic content, poor tank maintenance, and occasionally just bad luck.

Do you use tap water? If so what do you use to treat the water? I had this problem a few years ago in my 55 useing both api supplements stress coat and stress zyme which I later figured out that the zyme if used to frequently will cause growth like what u have...that's my guess

Back
Top Bottom