Newbie Moving fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dugward

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm sure this has been asked I just can't find it anywhere.

I currently have a 10g tank, fake everything, except the fish. haha..

I have a 30 set up and has had water cycling in it for about a week now with nothing but the dirt, gravel and a few rocks in it.
My plants should be here tomorrow, about 60 plants total (which seems like a lot to me! but they say the more the better).

I'm curious as to when I get my plants in there how long do I need to wait to move my fish over? I've been told I can immediately do it but I don't know.

I'm planning on putting everything in there, 1 dwarf neon rainbow, 4 guppies, 4 neon tetras. I don't want to move my otos yet as the algae will be next to none in the 30 gallon tank. I guess I could move my corys as well, 2 of them since they don't really eat algae that much.

I'm also planning on loading that tank up more as well as that won't be many fish, so probably about 6 more neon tetras, 2-3 more rainbows and 4-5 dwarf gouramis and a few more corys and otos eventually.
Oh btw, I have done 2 water changes as well already, about 40% as the water was reeeeeeeally yellowy, which come to find out was from the driftwood. Staying somewhat clear now.

If you're going to move the filter over from the old aquarium to the new aquarium until the plants and new filter are established, then you could move the fish immediately.

Otherwise I'd give your plants a week or two to get established before moving the fish over. If going this route I'd also recommend adding fish slowly (only a few every couple of weeks) to help ensure that the new aquarium goes through a silent cycle.

thanks

That's kind of what I was planning but the fish store said in a day or two I could move them which I didn't believe.
I'll probably move my guppies and tetras first, since they are the least expensive ones! lol...poor guys.

Back
Top Bottom