Newbie need plant care guidance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi I am new in the planted world and am trying not to get discouraged. I need help with identification of each plant and their individual care (how much light, etc...)....
Also I believe I have something called melting going on with possibly 2 plants...HELP!
Its a 20H with community fish/fish-in cycling. Lighting is 2 CFL 13 watt 6700k each. I used 2-3 inches of flourite under my sand subtrate. I have flourish comp and flourish excel. I am clueless and I don't want to get discouraged...help
Pic 1...i think is the worst case
Pic 2...starting to show signs like pic one (i think this one is water wisteria)

You might have some melting going on if they are newly transplated plants. They will recover, but will look kinda poopy in the meantime. What's your light situation like? I know water wisteria can do well in low light. I have it in my low-light tank.

First two pics are indeed water wisteria. 3rd pic I'm not sure - maybe a crypt. They are prone to melt when moved/replanted. 3rd plant, I'm not sure. I don't recognize it at all.

Where did you get them?

First two pics are indeed water wisteria. 3rd pic I'm not sure - maybe a crypt. They are prone to melt when moved/replanted. 3rd plant, I'm not sure. I don't recognize it at all.

Where did you get them?

What is a good temp for plants/fish together and how much light/direct/indirect do they need?
Yes they are new, about one week in my tank. From lovely hcourts on here:)....I think she said I had java fern, java moss, val, water sprite, rotala, something she couldn't remember, etc...I already had the camboda (msp)/anacharis, ...:huh::blink:

Pic #3 is Ceyptocoryne wendtii bronze. It's a great plant. I've had mine for over 10 years. It grows so much I compost it. You should put a root tab under it, and the others would appreciate a few, too. (^_^)

Pic #3 is Ceyptocoryne wendtii bronze. It's a great plant. I've had mine for over 10 years. It grows so much I compost it. You should put a root tab under it, and the others would appreciate a few, too. (^_^)

To clarify, I still need to use root tabs with flourite subtrate?

Don't think ya need the root tabs yet. The first pic is water sprite. The second wisteria and the third is indeed a crypt the forth is a cardinal plant. I dose daily with excel and weekly with flourish. Give them time. My crypts did that when I first planted as well. How is your lighting??

Don't think ya need the root tabs yet. The first pic is water sprite. The second wisteria and the third is indeed a crypt the forth is a cardinal plant. I dose daily with excel and weekly with flourish. Give them time. My crypts did that when I first planted as well. How is your lighting??

hey..glad you chimed in...2 lamps with 13 watt 6700k each...do any of them need some shading
also when do think I should begin using the tabs?

Nope they all should be fine. You could try the root tabs and see if that helps perk them up. I keep my tank that those came from at 80 and I run my lights about nine hours. Sometimes they just need time to adjust;) the one behind the cardinal is a java fern too by the way;)

Nope they all should be fine. You could try the root tabs and see if that helps perk them up. I keep my tank that those came from at 80 and I run my lights about nine hours. Sometimes they just need time to adjust;) the one behind the cardinal is a java fern too by the way;)

awesome thank you:)

I believe the fourth pic is a species of ludwiga? Not 100% but that is my guess?

Last one kind of looks like lobelia cardinals, although if it is, it's going to go through some morphological changes in the next few weeks, namely its leaves will get rounder.

Yes aqua chem:) that's what it is!! I just got one about six months ago and it has produced four 'offspring'! That is the newest one!!

Okay all...here is an update of my plants (new mondo grass on left front corner and amazon word middle front by rock path....I would like comments or suggestions if replanting the plants in a different spot is needed

Attachments

• 20121103_221059.jpg
    20121103_221059.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 69
It'll take a while for the plants to grow in but if you keep them in groups it'll look great after the tank fills in. I just completely redid my tank over the last three days and I'm waiting for my plants to grow, too. You could maybe try adding a little more hardscape (ie. rocks or wood). Or maybe you could try to get the wood to lean a bit more upright to make it less flat. Many people use rocks to support the driftwood in a more diagonal position. It would highlight the visual appeal of that cool branch. Just an idea. :)

Back
Top Bottom