newbie to plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimmi_7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok so I am not really new to fish keeping but am to plant keeping. Just have a couple of questions I need help with.

1) is using just gravel ok?
2) If not what type of planting product should i be using?
3) How many is too many??
4) what kind of light is best for a normal sitting on top of tank canopy for bright light plants??

I believe I am running a 8000k 15watt, daylight bulb right now. It came with the kit I bought, 36 gallons. Also do you have to use co2 with plants?:confused:

1) Gravel is fine. Sand also works.
2) There are plant-specific substrates out there like EcoComplete and Flourite.
3) If you're referring to plants, as long as the fish have some room to swim, you're good.
4) If that's a 15W fluorescent bulb, you'll be hard pressed to keep your plants alive. Some low-light plants may survive, but that's about it. If that's a 15W incandescent bulb, replace it with a CFL. For high-light plants, you'll have to upgrade fixtures to something in the 100-150W range. T5HO fixtures would be a good way to go.

CO2 injection isn't necessary on a low-light tank, but pressurized CO2 injection is mandatory on a high-light tank.

Just to add to what BigJim said... you can use whatever substrate you want. If you get heavy root feeders then you can add some root tabs to the substrate. I personally think EcoComplete is a waste of money but that is just my opinion. I have a high light, co2 injected tank with playsand and everything is thriving.

I would recommend starting out with a low light tank though. It is a lot easier to maintain and you don't have to worry about CO2 or fertilizers.

I run a 15 watt light in my 30 gallon and my 5 live plants seem to do fine with just gravel and a little plant fert!!

Water depth makes a big difference with a mediocre light. I run a pair of 18W CFLs on both my 20L and my 29g. The tanks have the same 30" x 12" footprint, but the 29g is 6" deeper. The 20L gets weekly trimmings to keep enough swimming space open. I can keep low-light plants in the 29g and they grow, but med-light plants struggle, especially if they're short.

Back
Top Bottom