Newbie with some nasty algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fynnie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 15 gallon planted mainly with Java swords and one Money Wort plant. It houses 2 Golden Mystery Snails and a couple of Goldies. The water is crystal clear with lots of surface agitation. The lights are on for 12 hours a day and I dose it once a week with Flourish complete. I have nasty brownish/ black hairy algae growing on pretty much everything, but especially near the outfall of the HOB.
I have cleaned every leaf ( a very long tedious job) with a baby toothbrush twice trying to get rid of the nasty stuff. And it looks great for a few days and then the crud just grows again. I have read here a couple of times about doing a three day blackout to kill off algae and am getting to the point where I am ready to do it.
This is a low light tank I guess I should also mention ( only because I cant afford to up the lighting right now...too expensive for the retro fit). Sorry I dont have picts .
Any tips on getting this stuff to just go away?

It's a smaller tank, so DIY Co2 would be a great idea.

Also, if your bulbs are T8/12, how old are they? They need to be replaced every 9-12 months.

i have the same nasty stuff growing in my tank and i attribute it to low CO2. i tried a 3 day blackout and it didn't work. (worked amazingly one other time on BGA though)

i'm fiddling with my CO2 setup to try and improve it now...

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom