Nitrate eating plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are some good nitrate eating plants. I have a 55g, sand substrate, and plan to have cichlids. I've tried hornwort before... I think... But wasn't it a super messy plant that required weekly maint on filters? I would like to see a list of options if anyone has any exp with nitrate eating plants.

I'm not sure you can keep anything but floating plants with cichlids. They like to dig and trash plants.. You could try floating anarchis or suction cup it to the side, they may eat that though...

Nitrates

What are some good nitrate eating plants. I have a 55g, sand substrate, and plan to have cichlids. I've tried hornwort before... I think... But wasn't it a super messy plant that required weekly maint on filters? I would like to see a list of options if anyone has any exp with nitrate eating plants.

Hello Mar...

Hornwort, Anacharis and Pennywort are nitrate removers, but won't last a day with aggressive fish.

Your best bet to lower nitrates is to use a nitrate removing medium like the product from Acurel. This company has been in the aquarium filter media business for decades and have a good poly fiber pad that's cut to fit, so it will work in most filters.

B

What kind of cichlids are you planning to keep?

I maintained a planted tank that included anacharis, wisteria and watersprite and an a loosely anchored bunch of hornwort among other things and was home to two large African river earth-eater type cichlids (chromidotilapia guentheri). They didn't bother the plants as long as I kept them fed. Same thing for my current catfish - if they aren't hungry, they don't mess with my anacharis. If they're hungry, they'll strip most of the leaves off in a day or two :)

Back
Top Bottom