No airstone - How much agitation is enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chinoanoah

Aquarium Advice Freak
Everyone has told me to keep the airstone out of my planted tank while the co2 and just to keep the surface agitation of the water good. Can someone explain to me what is completely ideal in a planted tank w/ 2 rams, 3 tetras, and 2 otos in it? My filter is a HOB and I have another little internal filter/pump that i can run - but it makes the fish hide :eek:.

Thanks AA

Noah,
It depends. What are your CO2 levels at, say at about mid-day, and more importantly, what are they at just before the lights come on in the morning?

With DIY CO2, you want to keep surface agitation to a minimum (at least while the lights are on...). With a HOB filter, you want the water level filled to a level that the water doesn't fall out of the HOB into the tank.

I do not have anything to test my co2 levels :/

I am keeping my water level high so there is no agitation.

I do not have anything to test my co2 levels :/

I am keeping my water level high so there is no agitation.

I would suggest getting a test kit a/o drop checker. But without them, just keep an eye on your fish, especially in the morning before the lights come on. If they are gasping at the surface it could be a sign your CO2 levels are getting too high at night.

i would invest in a drop checker. if the fish are not gasping for air they should be fine.

To test for CO2, you just need KH and pH test kits. You can then plug the numbers into a chart, calculator, or formula to determine the levels.

Back
Top Bottom