No Clue How and Where To Start...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J-Aqua

Aquarium Advice Activist
Alright folks, I got a 29gal tank just sitting around waiting for some fishies and other cool stuff. I want to do something colorful and nice for my front living room. I already have a 40gal community cichlid tank, so I was thinking on getting:

Pair of GBR's or 3 (either 3m or 3f whatever is more colorful of the GBR's / NO BREEDING :D ) apistos, 6-8 Cardinals or Rummy-nose tetras, one angel, some corries.

:D

I know I will need some hiding spots and plants, caves driftwood ect. I wanted to do a mix of fake and real plants. I am just not sure what to get? I tried to read all the articles on planted aquariums but nothing was put into idiotic terms :oops: haha. Anyways my tanks maker is "Top Fin." I bought the tank at a Petco that came with a HOB filer and media, bought some decor (Castle, and driftwood log). I am just not sure what gravel/sand, and plants I need and Co2 wise, and how much? Also the selection of plants. I want plants that grow a bunch of leafs so they look like mini trees to look like a forest next to my castle. Also plants that are more on the colorful side and easy to take care of. Also, the lighting? I am unaware of what lighting came with my tank, but to say the least its a really bright flouresent tube. I had some real plants in my 29gal before and only one plant grew and that was the plant near the filter.

I pretty much in the dark here guys and I am hoping some vets and show me the LIGHT! :p

Thxs,
J

J-Aqua said:
Alright folks, I got a 29gal tank just sitting around waiting for some fishies and other cool stuff. I want to do something colorful and nice for my front living room. I already have a 40gal community cichlid tank, so I was thinking on getting:

Pair of GBR's or 3 (either 3m or 3f whatever is more colorful of the GBR's / NO BREEDING :D ) apistos, 6-8 Cardinals or Rummy-nose tetras, one angel, some corries.
that is some darn good stocking...who ever came up with that is pretty smart 8)

I know I will need some hiding spots and plants, caves driftwood ect. I wanted to do a mix of fake and real plants. I am just not sure what to get? I tried to read all the articles on planted aquariums but nothing was put into idiotic terms :oops: haha. Anyways my tanks maker is "Top Fin." I bought the tank at a Petco that came with a HOB filer and media, bought some decor (Castle, and driftwood log). I am just not sure what gravel/sand, and plants I need and Co2 wise, and how much? Also the selection of plants. I want plants that grow a bunch of leafs so they look like mini trees to look like a forest next to my castle. Also plants that are more on the colorful side and easy to take care of. Also, the lighting? I am unaware of what lighting came with my tank, but to say the least its a really bright flouresent tube. I had some real plants in my 29gal before and only one plant grew and that was the plant near the filter.

I pretty much in the dark here guys and I am hoping some vets and show me the LIGHT! :p

Thxs,
J
ok lighting is your first assignment..how much do you have, and what kind...you said it is a fluorescent light, good, i am guessing it is a t8 bulb (those are the standard ones most hoods come with). need to know the
1) how old is the bulb
2) what is the wattage of the bulb (this is usually written on the side of the bulb)

once we know what kind of light level you are working with we can start talking about what kind of plants you can grow and what you will need to grow them :D

JDogg said:
J-Aqua said:

that is some darn good stocking...who ever came up with that is pretty smart 8)

Thxs,
J
ok lighting is your first assignment..how much do you have, and what kind...you said it is a fluorescent light, good, i am guessing it is a t8 bulb (those are the standard ones most hoods come with). need to know the
1) how old is the bulb
2) what is the wattage of the bulb (this is usually written on the side of the bulb)

once we know what kind of light level you are working with we can start talking about what kind of plants you can grow and what you will need to grow them :D

I know the stocking is pretty good huh! Haha.. :lol:

The bulb is only about 4-5months old. I have to check on the wattage of the bulb. Its about 24 inches in length... Dammit I wish I was home! I'll update as soon as I get home!

J

J-Aqua said:

The bulb is only about 4-5months old. I have to check on the wattage of the bulb. Its about 24 inches in length... Dammit I wish I was home! I'll update as soon as I get home!

J
ok i think a 24 inch t8 is 17 watts (correct me if i'm wrong)

that gives you ~.88 wpg (that is not much :?) you can grow some plants at that level (and not have to worry about Co2 or much if any dosing of ferts) you will be limited in plant selection.

you could up your lighting and open yourself up to more options, but i would wait until you are a little more comfortable with plants...

some plants your can probably grow at that level (though i think you are pushing there limits)....Java Fern, Java Moss, various types of anubias, hornwort, various crypts, ...ect.

if/where you decide to upgrade lights you can chose more plant types, but that means more work and $$ :D

JDogg said:
J-Aqua said:

J
ok i think a 24 inch t8 is 17 watts (correct me if i'm wrong)

that gives you ~.88 wpg (that is not much :?) you can grow some plants at that level (and not have to worry about Co2 or much if any dosing of ferts) you will be limited in plant selection.

you could up your lighting and open yourself up to more options, but i would wait until you are a little more comfortable with plants...

some plants your can probably grow at that level (though i think you are pushing there limits)....Java Fern, Java Moss, various types of anubias, hornwort, various crypts, ...ect.

if/where you decide to upgrade lights you can chose more plant types, but that means more work and $$ :D

Hmmm, I just read wolfs (i think thats his user name) 29g planted diary tank and oh my god. A lot of work to get everything setup and going. I think I might start off with some plants small one if that. Stick with the fakers (lol) for now tell I get a little more comfortable. Also I would rather use the money on upgrading my Cichlid tank.

The fish I and you mention would they be happy with fake plants or can they tell the difference? I would set them up with lots of driftwood and caves and pots and get a lot of cover with fake plants. Let me know. And thanks for your help Jdogg I appreciate it A LOT man.

J

You can have a really nice low light tank. Check out some of JChillin's threads for examples. Not near as much expense or work as a High Light tank like LoneWolfBlue's.

Purrbox said:
You can have a really nice low light tank. Check out some of JChillin's threads for examples. Not near as much expense or work as a High Light tank like LoneWolfBlue's.

Care to link me man? :)

J

You guys are making me blush :oops: In case you are wondering J-Aqua, here are some specs:

Tank - 75g
Filter - Fluval 404 Canister
Light - 110w CF (@1.5wpg)

You can click the "myinfo" in my post to see what plants are in there.

Good luck!

For a 29g you could upgrade the lighting to a 65 watt fixture and have about 2.2 watts per gallon and not need CO2. I have that fixture on my 29g and I don't have CO2. It is a medium light, low tech tank. I have a range of plants from cryptocorynes to ambulia, hygro, alternantha, rotala....etc...mostly medium light plants, but a couple medium-high light plants.

I also have regular gravel...so all you'd need to do is upgrade the lighting and buy some plants (and maybe pick up some Flourish and Flourish Excel). ;)

Thanks for all the links guys I appreciate it.

Jchillin:

What are the plants that you first put in (the ones in the back of your tank) ? I like those ones. Like I mentioned above I have a castle and a "Wood log/driftwood" decor I want to have a castle like theme? With a caslte on the left hand side (catty cornered) and with "tree" like plants around the wood log. The castle is kinda dark and has some purple in it. I was thinking about getting dark gravle or sand (like a faded black gravel) and fine some midnight purple rocks to put around the castle. I have it imagined in my head its kinda hard to explain! hahah.

Also if I use a pump to put airbubbles in my tank or a powerhead would that help the plants?

JustOneMore:
How much do you think it would cost for the lighting setup you mentioned. I kinda have funds set aside for my 75gal cichlid tank.

J

Back
Top Bottom