No Flow through CO2 regulator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarheel92

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I just got my GLA Paintball CO2 regulator and have been trying to get it hooked up. I don't have a crescent wrench (am going to get one this evening) so it was only hand tightened to the tank, but I didn't hear any hissing so I figured it had created a tight enough seal.

When I hook it up to the 20 oz tank the tank pressure gauge reads right around 1000psi, I filled the bubble counter, turned the working pressure up to 35 psi per their instructions, plugged in the solenoid, and then started to open the needle valve but no bubbles were flowing through the bubble counter.

Is this an issue with the solenoid not opening? Is there just a pressure leak from it only being hand tightened and that's why it's not flowing? Anyone have any ideas?

Well I got a response from GLA suggesting to up the working pressure, because the check valves likely just need cracking open. I'll let y'all know if that resolves it, getting my new apistos drip acclimated first though.

Try completely opening the needle valve while the regulator is closed, the slowly opening the regulator until you have flow.

I too had this issue with my regulator/bubble counter. I just turned the needle valve wide open and then the bubbles started coming out, I guess it just needed the extra pressure to get it opened up and then you can adjust the valve accordingly.

You also shouldn't use only the needle valve to stop flow. The needle valve should always be at least partially open. Fully closing it, especially tightly or under high pressure, can damage it.

Cranking up the working pressure to 45 psi did the trick! Got it dialed in to like 1 or 2 bps right now, we'll see how the drop checker is looking in an hour and take it from there.

45 seems high. I'm betting that you have a slight leak but can't hear it. I found that my system anyway, has to be tight to function correctly. I blew through a 10 lb tank in 6 weeks due to a slight leak. As others have said, I use my needle valve as last fine tuning so open it all way open and close to fine tune.

45 seems high. I'm betting that you have a slight leak but can't hear it. I found that my system anyway, has to be tight to function correctly. I blew through a 10 lb tank in 6 weeks due to a slight leak. As others have said, I use my needle valve as last fine tuning so open it all way open and close to fine tune.

I'll keep an eye on it, but Orlando at GLA suggested that and said many of his systems run at 45 PSI, so I'll trust him for now since they hand build and test all of the regulators.

Back
Top Bottom