No More Plastic Plants in the Future...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itsgracia

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i was looking at tanks that just have the prettiest aquascape with real plants and driftwoods. It is definitely breathtaking. I have been reading up a little bit and I'm thinking of changing out my plastic plants to real ones in the near future (need to gain more knowledge).

Im thinking of keeping low/moderate light plants (i have a 29 gallon by the way). I was looking at the following plants:

Java Fern
Anubias Nana
Melon Sword Plant (red one looks nice)
Lilaeopsis Mauritius
Dwarf Saggitaria
Vallisneria
Cryptocoryne Wenditii (red and gree)
Cryptocoryne Lutea

Do you guys think they will be fine if I just keep the gravel I have. Its definitely not fine gravel (i would like to say 0.5 mm). Also was thinking of getting the Nova Extreme T5HO x2 for Freshwater.

Suggestions...opinions...am I way over my head?!?! Would you do anything different. I want to do this right. TIA!

Fish Stock in case you need it:
1 Gold Molly
1 Black Molly
6 Neon Tetras
5 Zebra Danios
3 Pristella Tetras

I think you have a pretty good plan. You have picked out some plants that should do fine. Your gravel will be just fine for the plants you are growing as well. I would recommend some root tabs, especially for under the sword.

You will be happy with that fixture. I own a couple of them. 1 of them on a 29 will be great for medium and low light plants, and you aren't over that threshold that will require CO2 injection.

I would also recommend looking into a good trace fert mix.

The only questionable plant I see is the lilaeopsis. You may have some trouble with it both because of your substrate, medium lighting, and lack of CO2. I don't think it would hurt to give it a try though.

What fert do you reccomend?

Also I saw some already attached to a driftwood thought it looked cool. Should I buy those or just tie them down myself. I guess the question is it is worth the price?

I also have a bubble bar and read somewhere that it's not good for the plants in the daytime. So off in the morning and on at night ok?

tie em down yourself and dont buy from a store. Forums and aquabid are the best places to get plants, as they are from hobbists to hobbists not big business to "customer".
Dwarf sag might be the only one I would rethink for a low/mid light tank. I have a hard time growing that in a very high tech tank.

flourish trace would work if you want to make it easy. You could also look at something like leafzone from API... this is a trace/potassium mix, which would be fine for a lower tech setup.

I agree with WhiteDevil... tie the plants yourself. You will save a lot of money, and it isn't difficult.

Dwarf sag can be picky... but I think it could be tried in a medium light tank. Have seen folks have success with it in low tech tanks.

Running air in the tank during the day is just fine if you are not injecting CO2. In fact, it will help replenish CO2 so that the water remains at equilibrium with the air. The only time it is bad to run air in a planted tank is if you are injecting CO2 into the water... by running air, it off-gases the extra co2 that you are trying to inject.

Is that the Seachem one?

Tie them myself an find people here to get plants. Thanks guys for your advice. Ok that makes sense with the air thanks for the clarification.

flourish is seachem, yes. They make some good liquid ferts.

If you are looking to go economical, you could read up on dry fertilizers too, and go that route. A lot more bang for your buck.

You won't have a huge need for ferts with your planned setup, but I really think the root tabs and a trace mix of some sort will be a benefit.

Was thinking. I always wanted the double bright marineland LEDs. Will this be ok?

Do they have a dimmer built in? At full power I think they will be too much without injecting co2 and starting a robust fertilizer dosing regimen.

Last edited:
I don't think so. Only have an on which is both day and moon light and then moon light and off settings.

Back
Top Bottom