No. Of fish to a 200liter freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am trying to set up a peaceful and happy planted tank. It is 44gallon uk capacity.
Am I correct in thinking I can put: 6 panda cory, 10 khuli loach, 10 red dwarf rasbora and 10 neon tetra in the tank.
I have done calculations taking 10g out for planting and hideaways.
Any support would be much appreciated.

I have a 200 litre planted tank with way more stocking than that. Most people would say im overstocked, but i have an oversized cannister filter, its quite heavily planted, and with 50% weekly water changes water parameters are good with nitrates at 10 to 20ppm before water change (5 to 10ppm afterwards).

As long as your filter is suitably sized for 200 litres and you keep up with water maintenance, i dont see any issue with your stocking. I wouldn't put them all in at one go though. Spread it out over a couple of months.

Thank you. What is the best substrate for the fish and plants? Should I just use sand or would soft gravel be better.
Am I able to put plants in straight away or do I wait a while?
Last tank I only put Corey's and guppies in. I didn't do plants. :fish2::fish2:

With regards to substrate, the common thinking is that Cory's prefer sand and gravel will wear down their barbels. My 200 litre tank has roughly 65% gravel and 35% sand and they seem to have no preference and dont seem to have issues with worn barbels. With regards to plants, as long as you arent doing any high demand plants then either as well. Non-rooting plants like anubias, java fern etc dont even need a substrate. I used a layer of tropica plant care substrate beneath my gravel/sand layer and root tabs after a year when the plants looked to be lacking some nutrients. I would say just go with your own personal aesthetic preference, but if you go gravel try and get something nice and smooth.

I would also do your hardscape and planting before you fill your tank. It will be easier, plants try and float away to the surface while you are trying to plant them.

This is the first in a series of a low tech planted tank project. Really got me started on planted tanks. Have a watch through the whole series, it covers a lot good pointers.

https://youtu.be/66Xt4qglbNc

Back
Top Bottom