NO3 LEVEL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kickeralpine

Aquarium Advice Activist
what should it be heard 40ppm was the good number i was around 20 and now i at 0ppm and my java ferns dont look really good anymore they where doing great. any tips

how heavily is your tank planted? what fish do you have?

For fish, it's best to keep them under 40, under 20 is better. But plants use nitrates, so if you are bottoming out (0 nitrates) then you need to add more for the plants. You can do this by dosing ferts, or increasing the bioload (more fish).

ok tank is 135 gallon only 3 plants 2 java ferns and 1 red sword i going to add more plants when my light bulbs come in and i have only 9 tetras at this time

Yep, large tank + small bioload - small plant mass = Ideal tank for a standard FW tank. Have you have ordered ferts to go along with your intended plant increase? I would suggest you do so if you haven't.

Just out of curiosity, what wpg rate will your new lights give you?

dont know what ferts are and WPG will be about 2.5 watts i made a light box with 4 36" bulbs and over drove each one . going with the zoo med flora sun bulbs 8500k got a great deal on ebay.

Ferts is short for Fertilizers. In low light tanks your plants can usually get enough nutrients from the tapwater and fish, but in higher light tanks the plant grow so fast that they start running out of things. To keep things in balance and avoid algae, you need to add fertilizers to keep the plants from running out of what they need.

There's a link in the Read this First Sticky that has lots of information on Fertilization.

Also, with that much light you'll probably need to consider CO2 as well.

ok thank you i know im right on the border line for co2 didnt really want to do it but if i have to i will. and after last post i thought thats what ferts meant was having a blonde moment lol. so i guess i need to add some ferts now. thank you both for the help

Back
Top Bottom