NOISY Co2 diffuser = no sleep for Kim :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have my new planted tank set up in our bedroom, which is precisely where I want it. I just got the DIY Co2 set up last night, and by this morning it was making bubbles and all looks good. Fast forward to tonight, when the house is quiet and we are settled in bed.......this thing make a horrible squealing hissing kind of noise. I know it is coming from the diffuser in the tank, no leaks from anywhere that I can tell.
Its a glass diffuser with the spiral inside (bubble counter) by Up Aqua. Works great as far as making mini bubbles, but man this thing is noisy!

Any suggestions? Is there a way to turn it off at night with a diy system? Redirecte the co2 or something? My husband is sleeping like a baby, doesnt bother him at all, but I can hardly stand the hob filter noise, let alone this noise.:facepalm:

HELP PLEASE! Suggestions, ideas, comments, laughs.......all will be greatly appreciated.

One of my diffusers does this... I guess it'a hit or miss with them. Make sure it's not a leak though, by spraying some soapy water or windex on all connection points. Sadly, your only solution is to try other diffusers or go pressurized, so you can shut off the co2 when the lights go out... Or maybe some earplugs... :hide:

Unfortunately that comes with the DIY co2 territory, not having the ability to "control" the co2. Some people run the line directly into the intake of a HOB filter. Not sure if this will work as i haven't tried it. My suggestion would be to invest in a pressurized co2 system with a regulator that has a solenoid valve so a timer can shut your system off at night when you're sleeping. Also, if the noise of your HOB bothers you, i recommend a canister filter. I have HOBs and Cans, and the Cans are way more quieter.... Especially my Fluval 106!

I picked up these airstones from florida aqua farms for growing a phytoplankton culture and I notice they make really really tiny bubbles. I have a diy CO2 I just hooked up to my tank and stuck that airstone behind the intake of my filter. The bubbles are small enough that you can't hear them when they go through the impeller of the filter.

Airstone, Fused Glass Bead | Florida Aqua Farms

Thanks for the link Mebbid, I will definitely look into these. They look pretty cool.

My long term plan with this tank IS to get a pressurized system, and a canister filter, however, hubs is tired of me dipping into his "steak and beer" fund.....lol.
I am looking at filter currently. Any suggestions on a good canister for a planted 25 gallon? I currently run eheim canisters on my 2 larger tanks, and I love them, but not sure if I need to go with something different for a fully planted tank. What do you guys use?

Also, been looking at some regulators online. Does anyone have or ever used the Aquatek regulators? Kind of leaning towards the Aquatek mini regulator, which is already adpted for a paintball setup.................Thoughts?

I have two of the Aquatek mini regulators and they both work great! I especially like that Aquatek lowered the pricing back to something more reasonable (~$90).

You should get a Fluval 206 for the 25g... possibly a 106 for the bedroom. Awesome, innovative, and very quiet filters!

Thanks Brian,
I am glad to hear they work well. I think I am really leaning towards that one. How long do you think a standard paintball tank would last on a 25g tank? That may determine my choice in going with the larger regulator and a 5lb tank instead.

I have one on my 26g and I run it on a timer w/ 2 bps for about 10 hours a day. I get about 2 to 3 months out of my 20oz cylinder. I refill two 20oz tanks at a time. Since I have two Aquatek mini regs, I have 4 20oz cylinders.

In all honesty, if you have the room and the larger co2 tank won't look unsightly, I'd go with the 5# and full sized regulator. I went with the paintball mini regular setup so I can tuck the equipment away in the stand.

Im going to have to do some measuring to see what will/wont fit in my stand. I fear the stand won't be able to hold a 5lb tank, but if I can swing it, that will probably be the way I go.
Thanks for the help guys!
Oh, also, any suggestions on where to get a good drop checker? I need to get one before I get fish in the tank, and I was going to just order one on Ebay if I can't find one more locally.........

Im going to have to do some measuring to see what will/wont fit in my stand. I fear the stand won't be able to hold a 5lb tank, but if I can swing it, that will probably be the way I go.
Thanks for the help guys!
Oh, also, any suggestions on where to get a good drop checker? I need to get one before I get fish in the tank, and I was going to just order one on Ebay if I can't find one more locally.........

The glass eBay ones would be the most visually appealing for the price.

Perfect! I will get one ordered asap. I am already seeing some good growth on these plants in just the couple of days I have been running Co2. I cant believe I was so hesitant to try the high tech tank for so long. Lol. :)

So I am laying here in bed with pillows over my head to cover the sound of the diffuser. It is official. I am getting a pressurized system asap, with a solenoid so I can put it on a timer. The hob filter will just have to do for a little while longer.
After measring my tank stand compartments and the room I have to work with, I have decided to go with the paintball setup with aquatek mini regulator. Will be ordering 2 tanks so I have an extea on hand at all times, and I already found a sports store that will refill them for less than 4 bucks a pop. I am also going to order another diffuser, just to see if it is less noisy than this one. Never hurts to have a backup anyway.

Cool... sometimes you need a little nudge (or excuse) to pull the trigger on the fun equipment! haha

Anyway... If you buy the Aquatek mini reg from their ebay store instead of amazon, you get free airline tubing.

Also, I'm not sure if this was just my local airsoft/paintball store promotion but they offer free co2 refills if I bought the co2 cylinder from them. The 20oz co2 tank was more expensive buying it locally rather than amazon, but with the free refills (5 per tank), the co2 tanks practically came out free :) Might want to check around before buying online.

Thanks for the tips. I will do some checking in the morning and see what I can find for tanks. i will also check thier ebay store for the regulator. Free tubing is always nice :)

Back
Top Bottom