Not sure where to post - Aquaponics Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flyingfish28

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New to the forums, and not sure where to post this, so I apoligize in advance if I'm in the wrong place.

I used to have a 29gal, and 20gal long planted freshwater tanks I would mess around with. Stopped for various reasons, then started an aquaponics set up using a 50 gallon tub for the fish. Now I'm setting up a larger aquaponics system, and using a canoe for the fish. The canoe is about ten-twelve feet long and roughly a foot high. Plenty of space for fish, but not very deep. Is that a problem? And if not, what kind of fish would be good for what I'm trying to do?

Again I'm new so please be gentle if I'm in the wrong place or not giving enough information. Thanks :)

Hey! I like it!! I would suggest Mellow fish that do not jump and cannot get wedged in corners, maybe even fashion sonething to round in the ends/points, if poop is what your after?? How bout a Pleco farm!!! You could prob even adopt some free commons of craigslist! You would def need to Pleco proof the points though, foam pads would work, also hold algae for Pleco food as well..

I already have something fashioned so nothing can get stuck.
I know all fish jump when scared, but are any more skittish/ more mellow than others?
Also never thought of farming fish! That's a great idea! Are plecos easy to breed or something? Are any other fish good for farming?

I already have something fashioned so nothing can get stuck. I know all fish jump when scared, but are any more skittish/ more mellow than others? Also never thought of farming fish! That's a great idea! Are plecos easy to breed or something? Are any other fish good for farming?
the more I think about it the more I think you should consider common Pleco's.. Not in a breeding sense, for what you need to get the plants fed, poop, lots of poop! They won't jump, you can pretty much pick them up by hand.. They'll eat most anything.. Including veggies.. And! You can prob find some freebies that need a good home!

I kind of figured from the start catfish were the way to go!
You're right about plecos, people practically give them away lol
So far that seems like my best bet, thanks for the advice :)

My pleasure! Keep posting! I'm def interested in this! Will you start a journal thread??

I definitely will once things get off the ground a little bit!
When I do, I'll be sure to let you know

Awesome! Looking forward! Make sure you put some kind of foam or rubber under so it doesn't crack or stress. Good luck:)

Your Canoe Tank

New to the forums, and not sure where to post this, so I apoligize in advance if I'm in the wrong place.

I used to have a 29gal, and 20gal long planted freshwater tanks I would mess around with. Stopped for various reasons, then started an aquaponics set up using a 50 gallon tub for the fish. Now I'm setting up a larger aquaponics system, and using a canoe for the fish. The canoe is about ten-twelve feet long and roughly a foot high. Plenty of space for fish, but not very deep. Is that a problem? And if not, what kind of fish would be good for what I'm trying to do?

Again I'm new so please be gentle if I'm in the wrong place or not giving enough information. Thanks :)

Hello fly...

Great idea if you can maintain pure water conditions in such a set up. But, "where there's a will, there's a way". I keep longer, narrower tanks for my Livebearing fish. Guppies, Swordtails, Mollies and Platys are all examples. You won't find hardier fish, with the exception of the Mollies. They're all long distance swimmers and love to swim without having to turn around. I add to these fish, some species of Corydoras. Corys also prefer longer tanks, so they don't have to turn around so often.

Would like to see the result of your project.

B

Back
Top Bottom