Novice to planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashnewto

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys and girls,

New to the site and completely new to planted tanks and noticed one was not doing well at all! Any ideas?
Also just to check, when I got them the roots were wrapped in a foam like thing and I was told to just bury that in the gravel. That right?

Are the plants like garden plants, in that will last with proper care and don't need to be replaced every few months?

Should have done some homework before I got the plants but I just picked 5 I liked the best (wasn't sure how heavily to plant the tank either)

Thanks for your help

Ash

Attachments

• image-1788385924.jpg
    image-1788385924.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 81
First, I don't think that looks like an aquatic plant, but I could be wrong.

There are many things that go into a planted tank, lighting, nutrient levels, substrate, temps, and many more. But having a planted tank can be very low tech to very high tech, very few plants and very heavily planted. We just need more info about your setup and what your plans are for your tank.

Welcome to AA, there's a ton of info on the forum about planted tanks and care, just search the forum and check out the articles on this site to get some really good basic info

From what little I can see it doesn't look aquatic to me either. As Zimm said you need to do some serious research on what is needed in equipment, lights, ferts, etc., along with doing research on the type of plants that will grow in the lighting you decide to use.

Thanks for the advice, bought them from an aquatic centre near me, weird! Made me question the others now.

Just set up my tank an having it as a general community tank, apart from the girlfriends discus is going in part of it, got a divider on order.

Need to try and find time for some research I think. I just heard that planted aquariums would be better quality water etc

Hi there I'm no expert but I read that as a rule of thumb if a plant can stand up out of water then it's probably not a true aquatic plant,also I always remove all the foam as this normally rots the stems & roots.check out this eBay site seller:last-trading-post, they sell good quality aquatic plants at a great price with good advise on which types to get & how to care for them.

Hi there I'm no expert but I read that as a rule of thumb if a plant can stand up out of water then it's probably not a true aquatic plant,.

That can't be used because if a plant is in it emmersed growth form (grown with roots in the water and leaves/stems out of water) then it is also rigid.

That can't be used because if a plant is in it emmersed growth form (grown with roots in the water and leaves/stems out of water) then it is also rigid.

Also hygrophilla corymbosa can stand up out of water, at least mine does, and its fully aquatic. That is a good rule of thumb if you're not going to research a plant before buying it though.

Yeah it's a good rule of thumb and actually applies to all the other aquatic plants I bought.

And I will have a look at that website although with postage etc might not work out as cheap as bought in stores for £1.50 a plant

Back
Top Bottom