Now What

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lifeoffroad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just wondering since I have done everything else to combat my algae issue. My tank is in front of a window but it has a curtain that is always closed however it looks like light is coming through. Even though its not direct, will it still cause algae? Here's a pic,

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130521_183137.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130521_183137.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 70
Just because a tank gets indirect or direct sunlight doesn't mean it's going to have algae problems. My 220g tank gets direct sunlight in about 1/3 of the tank for a few hours a day and I don't have algae. The way your tank is set up with the curtians is fine IMO. As long as you don't run your lights too long (6-8 hours is good for a planted tank) and your water parameters (liquid carbon or CO2 and ferts) are all balanced you won't have algae issues.

Just because a tank gets indirect or direct sunlight doesn't mean it's going to have algae problems. My 220g tank gets direct sunlight in about 1/3 of the tank for a few hours a day and I don't have algae. The way your tank is set up with the curtians is fine IMO. As long as you don't run your lights too long (6-8 hours is good for a planted tank) and your water parameters (liquid carbon or CO2 and ferts) are all balanced you won't have algae issues.

Im just running out of ideas cause I changed all my ways. I have been doing everything by the book. I don't have co2 but I read that helps control the algae so maybe I need that. I don't know. I'm going nuts.

You said you don't use CO2, but do you use liquid carbon? Liquid carbon used at the recommended dosage (if it starts to melt any plants, cut to a 1/2 dose) should help. Proper fertilization helps because the plants use the nutrients before the algae can. Plants can out compete algae if conditions are good. Also is this a new tank? You don't mention what kind of algae you have. If it is brown algae, which are really diatoms, it generally goes away as the tank ages. Some algae is well controlled by algae eating animals. Many use Amano shrimp or even the lowly snail, including so called nuisance snails. As long as the snails don't eat the plants, and mine don't, I personally consider them a help rather than a problem.

Exactly what is going on? What type of algae? Type of light and how long you leave it on? Do you use liquid carbon or CO2? What about ferts? Nitrate and phosphate levels. Algae happens when there is an imbalance of light/CO2 or liquid carbon/ ferts.

Exactly what is going on? What type of algae? Type of light and how long you leave it on? Do you use liquid carbon or CO2? What about ferts? Nitrate and phosphate levels. Algae happens when there is an imbalance of light/CO2 or liquid carbon/ ferts.

I have tries to balance all of those those things with some success. But its driving me nuts.

Back
Top Bottom