nutrient imbalance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

875mill

Aquarium Advice Activist
I believe I have a nutrient imbalance, Im not sure what else would be causing this. Green dust algea is currently overrunning my tank. It will completely cover everything in 3-4 days. Tank has been up and running for 5 months with out a prob until this. At the same time my plant growth has come to a halt, and my reds are reverting back to green. Any advice would be greatly appreicated.

Tank Specs

125 gallon
384 watts CF 6700k/10000k mix
co2 injected
aqua soil
PH 6.3 kh 2.5°
EI dosing 3x a week
1.5 tsp kno3
.125 tsp kh2po4
.5 tsp k2so4
.5 tsp csm+b

I would say either the CO2 isn't high enough for the amount of plants, or Phosphates too low. I slowed my green algae by increasing my Phosphate dosing and changed nothing else, as my CO2 was way up.

Green Dust Algae has a life cycle. Leave it alone for several weeks, and then you should be able to wipe it away and it won't come back. If you keep wiping it away before it completely runs through it's life cycle, it will keep coming back to annoy you.

If I leave it alone it will surly kill all my plants my crypts have already lost half of their leaves.

I went through this same experience. I had Green Dust Algae everywhere and most of my plants leaves turned green and then fell off. I found my problem was my light bulbs needed changing. I couldn't tell from looking at the bulbs, but once I replaced them, all was golden again.

Not saying this is your problem, but it's something to look into.

I thought about this cause all of my plants have lost there red color and slowed in their growth. Even my chain sword was red before this. But I dismissed it it because my bulbs are only 5 months old. No way they should need replacing already right?

For Fluorescents you need to replace the bulb every 6-9 months. With Compact Fluorescents you can go a bit longer, but should probably still replace the bulb every year.

Back
Top Bottom