Office space planted nano concept.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rcguerra

Aquarium Advice FINatic
For those that don't know, I typically plan my tanks in advance and I rely on other people's experience to make things cheaper and less messy.

Here is a picture of my last concept that the wonderful members of this community helped me with:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405788783.632928.jpg

I learned a lot since then and I am ready to more to my next project. I recently moved from Florida to Boston, MA, and will be looking for a permanent place 'til next summer. The good new is that my boss is awesome, and my new workplace is amazing. Some other co-workers have real jungles in their offices. My office room next to mine has a turtle tank.

So, here is my desk:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405788986.136436.jpg

The white paper on the left of the monitor behind the phone is occupying a 12"x12" space. I am very inclined to use one of my trueAqua high visibility tank and make another betta paradise.

Here is where you come in:

Background: I am in between black or frosty. If you have the time to link examples of nano tanks with even other options, please do so. Most of my threads end up becoming a good source for other people, so let's make it visually attractive!

Filtration: I am 100% sure that I don't need anything more than a sponge filters. I have visited so many Betta facilities with as little as 10% water changes PER MONTH on planted tanks that had nothing but substrate, anubias and a tiny sponge filter to create water movement. I am most likely using one of these two seen below:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405789337.070364.jpg

However, if you are familiar with something that might be even a better fit, let me know dropping a link here.

Heater: same thing, My office is 72 degrees regardless of what is happening outside, so any of my heaters will do fine even during the winter. Same thing though, if you know something better, please share.

Lights: my options are really below my expectations: I currently have 2 Finnex Fugeray 12" available, 2 Finnex Fugeray-R and 1 CFL that I paid over $100 but is not really OMG'ing me. I am open for suggestions, but please keep in mind that this tank will not be a high maintenance, high tech project. I just want it to look bright and not cheap. Here are a couple of examples:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405790098.994409.jpg

Even though this is a really nice betta tank, it is not as bright as I want.

Same thing goes to this one:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405790165.474408.jpg

[all images being used from my album on Pinterest WITHOUT permission. Please contact me if this is an issue]

Plants:

I am thinking ludwigias all around, some vals near hardware to cover and some low tech tiny foreground plants, mamy baby tears (no, not dwarf baby tears, they don't do well without CO2, I know).

I currently have 100+ bettas, so I am in between having a small sorority (5 or 6), a a single male. If I go with the male, I will do the aquascape neat and vast. If I emd up doing the school, I might make it planty and full of different plances (caves, vertical uneven ground, etc)

Let's start this!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Staurogyne repens carpets well in low light, or at least more so than some others. Problem is that it would look pretty big in a small tank. You should use small leaf structure to make the tank appear big but I'm sure you knew that (I've seen and drooled over your triptych thread) :lol:. Rotala rotundifolia might be nice. Small leaves, and should color up easily since its a shallow tank. In that case the fugeray r would suit nicely.

I am planning on having 2 Finnex Fugeray on the tank for better lighting, unless someone points out something even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hookup with the legendary brookster. Hes in boston too

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Yah we can meet at petco and bash their setup! So rc.. this sounds like a cool concept, what about one of those 15 column tanks? True to Boston ' s history, can't go sideways? Go vertical!! You do a nice piece of dw with some fissedens creeping up to a ton of light. Fill out the background with Ludwiga repens and maybe a chain sword or staur repens carpet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brookster, are you going to the Boston aquarium society gathering on Monday?

The vertical concept is a nice idea, but my main goal is to give a nice room for a betta. They are pathetic swimmers and really don't care for anything below 5 inches...

Let me think about it, there is one over the PetCo on my side of town without a filter (perfect for bettas) that might do will with a big sponge.

Brookster, are you going to the Boston aquarium society gathering on Monday?

No, didn't know there was such a thing? ?

Cool! Can't make it though, gf ' s birthday.. I'll be looking into future events for sure..

I say, keep the triple cubes for home because it's too sweet to not setup again! Btw, please tell me you moved your custom made stand with you? Haha

As for your space at work, I'd get another 12" cube.. or you can try a CAD Lights Zen tank. Also high clarity ADA quality but they also include a glass top and is much cheaper. The glass top should be a good idea to cut down on evaporation and to help prevent the sponge filter bubbles from splashing water outside your tank (like on the side of the monitor).
I'd pair this tank with the Fugeray-R.

There's a 3g (ADA mini S dimensions) that would be a nice little pico paradise. For inspiration, look up "ADA mini s" in Google images.

http://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=52&products_id=230

Last edited:
Here's another option I just stumbled upon. Man, this thing looks pretty sweet and stylish. I can't believe it's a marineland product and looks this good. I'd read the reviews and do research online. But I like how the filter is integrated in the back chamber, so it's completely out of sight. If it's anything like my old nano cube 12g, those filters in the back compartment are powered by an adjustable water pump which run fairly silent. Should be more silent than the humming sound of an air pump you'll have to endure if you go the sponge filter route. Keyword here is "adjustable flow." I know your betta would enjoy that. :)
Marineland Contour Glass Aquarium Kit with Rail Light, 5-Gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GOFS8P4/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_8bmZtb1DDTZ1CEA8

The dimensions of this tank are also appealing for that space. It has a nice height to it to take advantage of the vertical space.

Edit:
Looks like it's sold at petco, so you can possibly buy locally and if you hate it, you can always return it. Only caveat I see is the light looks like it's only good for low light plants. But that should be a good thing so you'll have less maintenance. Found some videos.. darn, now I'm tempting myself! J/K

Marineland Contour5 Aquarium - HD Part 1: http://youtu.be/-zGWOvyElLs

Marineland Contour 5: http://youtu.be/PM5qPzj197s

Last edited:
Thank you for all the suggestions. The custom stand ended up sold to the people that got our house. It is now featuring 2 regular 10G tanks, in a similar concept to the original.

I will not do the 3 tanks again. I really like the concept, but I might do something similar with higher water volume. With that said, one tank is in FL with my wife while she is finishing undergrad. One is at "home" here in Boston, and the other is "up for grabs", so it might end up in the office.

Well, they might end up here in the office if you guys stop sharing WAY BETTER options. Thank you Brian for the links, they are really perfect for my space. I am always concerned with 3-way filtration systems because they always end up generating more current than I need for bettas.

let me google ADA mini s and see if I get inspired...

I cannot really justify the ADA mini s having a Mr. Aqua seating at home with no place to go. Let me further investigate this PetCo option now...

You could also get a betta factory tank off amazon. They sell them in 8 by 8 by 8, 10", and 12" cubes. The 10 " one is 4.3 gallons and theyre pretty cheap too. I have the 10" model and am pretty happy with it. I think i paid like 40 bucks for it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I just found a 200 year old dungeon with a LOT of laboratory glassware. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405957520.571887.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405957560.773514.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405957570.949339.jpg
(Somehow related to the main topic)

Cool co2 diffusers?

Lol. It is a dental school, not japanese aquascape store. Beakers, flasks, pipettes, all kinds of culture tubes. I can do water tests and just throw away the tube for the rest of my life lol.

I was referring to the U bend glass tubing, i could tank that for sure! Good find!!

Back
Top Bottom