Ok i need help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustinKScott

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank continuously has a green tinge to it and I'm not sure what to try next.

By green tinge I mean light light green colored clear. And I can only see it strongly looking long ways through the tank.

My tank:
180 gallon
Playsand/ floramax bottom
1liter co2 diy + co2 booster liquid
2 fluval g6
6x54w t5ho
Ammo 0-.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-30
Phos .25
Kh 4
Gh 7
Ph 7.6

My plants are finally growing. They are looking quite strong. But I wouldn't call the tank heavily planted. I have a 2' x 2' section that is "well" (not heavily) planted and that's it.

I always keep the fluvals running @>90%. Haven't cleaned the bio filter in them for 6+mo; haven't replaced in over 1 year. Never run chem filter. I always clean Mech filter twice/wk

Lights are on a timer. 7am-8pm with 2 hour siesta.

I have probably 60 community fish in the tank. Fed once/day 2 oz flakes 1oz crisps. Every so often bloodworms. Fish of note 1discus, 4gouramis, 1 butterfly, 1reedfish, 1 lg lazy common plec, 1 bristlenose, 8 ottos, 6 SAE.

So what's next to try?
More plants?
More co2?
MTS to stir up the sand to release anarobic bacteria?
Less fish? (probably not going to happen)

I'd start with reducing your photoperiod. You're running lights for ~9 hours? I'd go to 7-7.5. I'd also reduce feeding to once every other day. A tank that old should have no ammonia present. How often and much are you changing water? Does the tank get any direct sunlight?

No direct sunlight.

Ammo is always closer to 0 than .25; I can't read the test tubes as well as the test strips. But I will pay more attention to it and make it stay at 0.

Photo period; good idea, wouldn't have thought of that. Will do immediately.

I always keep the fluvals running @>90%. Haven't cleaned the bio filter in them for 6+mo; haven't replaced in over 1 year.

So what's next to try?
I would start with changing out the fine filter/cleaning any coarse filter in a water change.
A UV sterilizer would eliminate it within a few days.

waterfaller1 said:
I would start with changing out the fine filter/cleaning any coarse filter in a water change.
A UV sterilizer would eliminate it within a few days.

What do you mean "fine filter": "coarse filter"? I have a mechanical which I clean every few days, and a bio filter which I don't touch.

I've used a UV, but the reasonably priced ones (<$70) don't seem to effect my tank.

---- lighting ----

Can I just extend my siesta? I'd like the like in the morning when I feed them and a few hours at night when I get home. (Which is longer than 10hours apart.)

I am sorry, misunderstood. I thought you had fluvals which you had not cleaned.
You might try a UV, it really does clarify water.{edit, oh I see, you have also tried one-perhaps saving for a better one?}
Have you tried carbon in a mesh bag? Just trying to toss some ideas around. There has to be a way to fix the problem.;)

waterfaller1 said:
Have you tried carbon in a mesh bag?

I tried standard carbon a while back; I could try it again.

I tried biozorb (I think that's the name, they have several with similar names). Did effect anything.

waterfaller1 said:
. There has to be a way to fix the problem.;)

God I hope so. I honestly think it is some balance between plants and lights. Was really hoping the plants would take over and beat up the algae.

Which makes me think I have either too much light or not enough plants.

Some more thoughts-Is the tank fairly new IE: could the bulbs be due for replacement?
How often do you do water changes, and at what volume?
You may want to increase their size or frequency. At the least a nice large one or two back to back. Followed by three days of no lights might reset the balance.

Back
Top Bottom