OK...I'm trying to get serious now and need some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PITT

Aquarium Advice Activist
Since I've found AA I'm super pumped to tank my tank to the "next level" and really make this a serious hobby.

Ferts...

I went to www.gregwatson.com as the stickey suggested and I think I've gotten everything I need to get my tank going really well. I've read the stickeys and I think this is what I need. I need help though...is this everything? Anything I don't need?

I have a 55 gal tank. I have DIY CO2.

Here is what i'm ready to order...
CSM+B Plantex
Potassium Nitrate
Potassium Sulfate
Mono Potassium Phosphate

Now I'm going to another site for a Phosphate test kit since they don't carry one.

I've taken in an overload of info lately and this is what i think I need to order.

Do I need Iron?...my WPG is 2 now.

If you need more info let me know.

I don't want to get all this if not needed...i also don't want to miss something and pay for shipping twice.

Thanks in advance.

Pretty sure CSM+B has iron in it. I would get 2 lbs of Potassium Nitrate and 1 lb of everything else. Most people go through Potassium Nitrate faster than anything else. I know I certainly do.

Order 2 x 8 oz. dosing bottles from Greg if he has them in stock. They make dosing so much easier.

As far as dosing goes, that's probably all you need (unless you want to add excel too).

What is excel? I don't think i've read anything about that.

**side note*** i wish they made meatwad a little easier to understand.

Excel is a liquid carbon supplement. It works sort of like CO2, but you dose it once a day (I think). It helps your plants grow better and outcompete algae. Exactly how much of what type of lighting do you have over your tank?

I have one fixture that holds 2 55 W CF.

Your list looks good. You don't need the iron more than enough in the CSM+B Plantex. DIY Co2 may not be enough CO2 in a 55 gaallon tank. Supplementing with Excel until you can afford a pressurized system may be a good idea.

A 2 wpg PC lighting you may or may not need CO2 supplementation kind of on the cusp, but it will help your plants grow better.

Once you get the stuff, start a new post and we will help you work out a dosing schedule.

I would get the Seachem phosphate test kit:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13514&N=2004+113074

I used the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kit for phosphate before. I got colors that weren't even on the chart. The Seachem kit is not really easy to read (no test colors really are, IMO!) but the Seachem kit measures down more into the low range than the AP kit. When you are dosing you need a scale of results that has tighter increments. The AP results are pretty broad, and may not help you refine your dosing. The first few times I used the Seachem kit, my phosphates were pretty high, and I had to dilute my tank sample so it wouldn't go off the chart. Then I got a pretty good idea of what my level was (I skipped a few dosings of phosphate to get it down!) and I could dose more accurately. I don't have to dilute my sample anymore.

The one I was going to get was a Seachem...your site is cheaper though...thanks!

Your order looks pretty good. I suggest these amounts.
Here is what i'm ready to order...
CSM+B Plantex (get 1-2lbs)
Potassium Nitrate (get 2-3lbs)
Potassium Sulfate (get 2-4lbs)
Mono Potassium Phosphate (get 1 lb)
Since you are ordering, perhaps consider also getting some GH booster

Barr's GH Booster
Barr's GH Booster. This is Tom Barr's Poor Man's GH Builder/Booster.
http://www.gregwatson.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GHBooster

What does GH do? I haven't read anything about it. How much..what does it do...is there a test kit...can too much be bad?

Ok...my stuff is on the way! (even the GH booster)

I'll be looking for help once it all arrives. I'm so pumped! Ever since I got my 55 I've been wanting a really good looking live plant display...this website has helped so much. With the info I've read...other threads...advice I've rec'd...I'm actually confident that I'm going to have a cool tank eventually!

Thanks everyone...this post and previous ones.

GH is the measurement of calcium and magnesium in your tank. Calcium (Ca) and Magnesium (Mg) are also necessary micro nutrients for your tank. GH boost will provide it (as will Seachem's Equilibrium).

Glad to hear you are getting set and anticipate seeing pics when you are ready.

So how much GH should I add or how do I test? I think I've got a good plan together for EI from an article I read but can't find anything on GH.

PITT said:
So how much GH should I add or how do I test? I think I've got a good plan together for EI from an article I read but can't find anything on GH.

Tom Barr said:
Some folks have suggested the GH issue is well addressed, well, it does not matter a great deal as long as there is enough relative to NO3/PO4 etc.

Most folks have higher GH's, invariably someone mentions Mg++.
This is supplied in many trace mixes and plants need some, but not like many of the other nutrients. Most high Gh water alos has Mg, this is not 100% the case, but topping off with a 1 degree amount of SeaChem Eq or Ca/Cl2/MgSO4 will address most GH related potential issues so you can rule any of that out with one simple dosing after the water change.

Regards,
Tom Barr

http://www.barrreport.com/estimative-index/62-estimative-index-dosing-no-need-test-kits.html

and

Tom Barr said:
I'm not sure how high they should be, they can be anywhere for say 10ppm to 450ppm for Ca++.

Mg seems to be fine at lower end, not sure if there is a high ceiling for Mg, some claim so, I've not found anything conclusive with any plant to date.
I've had some fair rock hard GH's over the years. Mg wise hard to say though. Most did not look at those.
But I never had issues either...........maybe all luck, somehow I tend to doubt it.

Adding a little Mg and having a GH of 3 or more ought to address most issues.You can add a little CaSO4/CaCl2 if you want to rule out low Ca.

Or simply raise the GH by about 1-2 degrees with the Gh boosters and not worry or deal with it.

TMG also has some K+/Mg as well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

http://www.barrreport.com/articles/1800-ei-light-less-techical-aspects-estimative-index.html

I hope that answers your question.

Back
Top Bottom