Ok Lisa, is this your idea of a joke?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One does so hate one's aquarium plants to be better traveled than...one is (?)

C'mon, someone must have a tall tank that needs some upward decor? I think Joe will probly include the required helmet and flamethrower.

What about that guy with the 300-gal? Mike(?), Michael(?)

The plant needs a name now; anything that big needs a name. Ape the Apon? Ape-on?
If it travels around from tank to tank, it will eventually need to be transported in one of these:

img_792248_0_e382307a429babd260b26e0d1feb1ed4.jpg

lol! This thread has got to be one of the most hilarious I've ever read on any forum :D It's great!

Joe, I heard apons were seasonal anyway and go dormant for a while: could be totally wrong. So, if you cut it back, chances are the beast will rise from the grave again some time later even if it's after a couple of months.
When there's no more room in your tank, the plants will walk the earth :O

You could try feeding it some ground beef, but inevitably Audrey III is going to lure your friends in and eat them one at a time, Seymour found this out...

Hey, nice 130 watt CF fixture, I'm sure that's helping the growth.

Not only that, but I ended up putting both on that tank! Even all that light can not get through the canopy this plant has made.

Sparkles..... I'm sure that will haunt me for some time to come. I owe you Lisa :wink:

Joe - How long before you think it'll be before the plant joins you and the family for dinner?

I would have volunteered to take it but I have two cats and even though the 75 is big, it is limited in height.

Regarding your question about seeding...since this plant obviously believes wholeheartedly in reproducing, I'd check around the tank and vacuum up any spores. I'd hate to see you come back and post about armies of spores taking over your home. :)

I sent a link to this thread to Bill, the guy I got Ape-on from. He has some info on the beast!

"The flowers will produce seeds like these http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2099317580045182475nlapYj You can break off the shoots anytime near the base, same with the leaves. If you don't want them taking over, break off the flower stalk after the white color fades. My large A.crispus is in a 75 and gets big, but you can pull most of the leaves off (just break them off near the base) and leave 5 or so leaves intact. A. crispus does not go dormants which is one reason I keep it. Who wants a plant that grows, gets beautiful, then disappears? Btw, there's more if someone wants one :)

Bill
"

Thank you for the info Lisa. That helps a lot. I think it is haircut time for the Apon!

I'll get a before and after shot for the full effect.

Joe - How long before you think it'll be before the plant joins you and the family for dinner?

I kind of like the idea of seeing how big this thing can grow, but for the sake of my other plants it must be tamed.

Since all of the flowers seem to find their way out of the back corner of the tank before they open, I think I am going to let a couple go and see if I get seeds. Any takers?

OK, here we go...

Before:

img_792532_0_a31b793223dc1e37624a43f358c60eba.jpg

I had planned to leave the flowers in tact, but as is prone to happen in the heat of battle there are innocent casualties.

The flowers:
img_792532_1_8e46cd4b2cf15120d22ec101e0b4fcfe.jpg

The victims:

img_792532_2_dd1421bc4ea6d421c5031271cab05de2.jpg

After:

img_792532_3_1ee009c2f64dc873c164fc738e8ce546.jpg

My bottom plants are grateful.

Holy crap-it looks great!

Which means you did a great pruning job-it doesn't look "pruned" (other than the lack of giant stinging prehensile tentacles.)

Did you fix yourself a nice salad with those trimmings?

Back
Top Bottom